MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Skilled

Not sure what stores are in every ones areas, but here in Michigan Meijers and a lot of Walmarts are now stocking dry ice. but why somone would want dry ice in January is beyond me.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Skilled

son of bluegras - look around on this and others for electric HT oven plans using a PID controller. It aint hard to do and man is it worth it. You'll see the quality of your knives improve exponentially. Memory serves, mine cost me about $250 to build. I've now upgraded it with a digital timer control that works with the PID. Thinking of building another one so I don't have to snap temper and wait on cool-down to final temper.

On an aside, I would think that your home freezer "improvement" is in your head....but our thoughts can be rather convincing..

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

Another source of liquid nitrogen is Select Sire, ABS, look for genetics operations or dairy supplies. I have my nitrogen tank filled at a custom genetics farm. They collect beef and dairy bull semen and also stallion stations should have it . just need the dewar,

Tags
abs, blade, custom, digital, forge, heat treat, knife, knives, made, post, supplies, supply, wax