MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Skilled

Delrin for handles?

Did anyone tried delrin for handles?
You can get .125" x 1.5"x 12" for $2.26 on McMaster
It's wear resistant and safe to work with.

BTW epoxy won't stick to it. It's like teflon.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Delrin and Zytel are very commonly used as knife handles. Zytel is common on the molded folder handles of low priced folders and Delrin often shows up on commcercial kitchen knives ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Steel Addict

Talking Only an opinion

In my opinion, if your going to go to the trouble to hand-craft a custom knife,delrin would make it look cheap. Other materials are more expensive but the overall appearance of the finished knife,is well worth the extra money and effort it takes to finish it. Jig bone can be a good alternative,and it's not too expensive. Good luck with your project, I hope this advice is helpful.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 AM
Skilled

Cool ditto on "cheap"

I agree,, it would make a knife look cheap, which is what most stainless steak knives are, and yes,, epoxy does not stick too good either,, but a point you still have missed, those plastics mentioned scratch real easy and white delrin or UHMW plastics look real ugly when dirt gets into those scratches!! A very good alternative is "Micarta" comes in colors- works easy- won't easily scratch- takes epoxy well-cheap to buy, and friends in the manufacture of airplanes can scrounge you a lifetime supply!!! (I know) ---jon
Old 08-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwelder
I agree,, it would make a knife look cheap, which is what most stainless steak knives are, and yes,, epoxy does not stick too good either,, but a point you still have missed, those plastics mentioned scratch real easy and white delrin or UHMW plastics look real ugly when dirt gets into those scratches!! A very good alternative is "Micarta" comes in colors- works easy- won't easily scratch- takes epoxy well-cheap to buy, and friends in the manufacture of airplanes can scrounge you a lifetime supply!!! (I know) ---jon
####! Why I don't have any friends in airplane manufacturing business
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Skilled

Alexkuzn,

I agree with cricket. Skip the cheap materials. If you are mass producing and want to sell lots of things for little $ OK. But for hand crafted stuff, spend the bucks. Even beginner knives (that you are making to keep) have more satisfaction when good materials are used.

The cheapest stuff I use is G10. I use that, because I think it's the perfect material for kitchen blades - not because it's cheap.

This is not to say I don't scrounge. Getting good materials for free is way cool.

Steve

Old 08-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
On the idea of "Free is way cool" has anyone tried using bowling balls?
They seem like they would be tough as nails.

I have several around from the folks. I dont bowl, so they are not much use to me.

Anyone know what the older (1960) black bowling balls are made of?

I prefer to use stabilized burl wood from K&G for mine, they are beautiful, and 3D stable.

I agree totally on the ?t looks cheap" adage", I have had people who couldnt understand my price, but when they see the end product, they have all agreed that it was WELL worth the money. Sadly most folks are in the "Walmart" frame of mind when thinking of kitchen knives. Unless they work with them for a living, they most likely wont understand at first the idea behind a hand made tool.

One thing I use as a sales tool is a handmade chefs knife is a gift that is like no other, and when someone is looking for that nice gift for that hard to buy someone, these work great!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Master

Mike, I think the old bowling balls (pre polyester) were made of phenolic resin, like old telephones and radio Knobs. Phenolic is pretty tuff stuff, but a bit more brittle than Delrin I expect. Is not Micarta phenolic resin impregnated fiber, at least the original name brand material? MSC has several different tool room plastics in their catalog. Some of them sound very exotic, and so far don't show up in hand made knives, but that is probably because they are butt ugly.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Thanks for the info Richard, I think Ill try slicing off a slab and see what it does.
was planning on cutting off 1/3 of the bowling ball anyway to try and make a type of engravers vise.

If it works out Ill let you guys know. Could be a new yardsale item to look for!

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Skilled

Cool "Bowling Balls"- - - -??????

Diamong G (Mike),,, many years ago (1977) I was on this search and destroy kick,, I shot lots of junk with my NEW 30-06!! Yes,, bowling balls too,,, the colored "plastic" type exploded quite violently into fragments that I can still find to this day in my gravel drive! The black balls were quite different and I don't know how to distinguish them from the outside,, some just blew off chunks,, others were of a cork core with hard plastic outside they were not impressive at all.. I guess my advise would be the swirley colored plastic as these could be cut, then drilled, sheet metal screwed or even maybe tapped!!! Keep us posted,, you always come up with some great ideas (I'm thinking of the glass platen plunge line maker) ---just wish we lived closer!!! ---jon

Tags
knife, knives