MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-04-2001, 11:15 PM
Jason G Howell

Well, guys and gals, I finished the knife and got the forum finished. Thanks for taking a look as it went along. Also thanks for the patience with me. It's hard enough me keeping my concentration while making knives. The camera kind of threw in another variable that proved a little taxing at times. Most were shot as they actually happened, a very few were posed for. For me, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I ended up with a lot of pics and a little explanation. I hope someone got something out of this. I have been lurking here and the other forums for a long time, and feel honored to have been able to contribute...

On another note. If anyone saw an easier way to do things than I did, I'm open to new way to do things...

Thanks

Old 02-05-2001, 12:50 AM
eadus

Well done Jason, you'll notice that I've put a "lock" of the post so If you need to add any more detail either let me or Alex know and we'll unlock it for you.

I have ordered some materials to make a liner lock soon and I'm going to digest you tutorial as you've answered a lot of questions I had in my head with your tutorial and when I get to build one no doubt I'll have a few more.

Once again, WELL DONE.

Regards from Australia

Old 02-05-2001, 06:46 AM
primos

Great job Jason!

Old 02-05-2001, 06:52 AM
robertwashburn

liner lock Post

THis is one of the best that I`ve seen .Thanks for posting it. Robert
Old 02-06-2001, 03:00 PM
CSJones

Re: liner lock Post

I learned a lot, Thank You for doing it.

Jonesy
Old 02-06-2001, 03:09 PM
Terry Hearn

Great job Jason.
Old 02-07-2001, 06:11 PM
eadus

A couple of questions, Jason.

Seeing as you heat treat your spine can you use it as the stop "pin" and have 2 dowells further down the spine? that would give you a continuous solid line along the spine of the knife and there wouldn't be any break in the file work.

How do you put the release cut-out in the bolster and handle material without using the spring liner as a backing?

Do you put the 10 degree angle on the front of the spring? If so which way do it run?

Old 02-07-2001, 07:22 PM
eadus

Silly me, I just realized the purpose of the stop pin in the closed position and the release cut-out is on the oposite side to the spring.

Old 02-08-2001, 03:35 AM
Jason G Howell

I guess I could use the spine for a stop. I used to run the spine all the way up (I think it looks better) to the blade, but it pinches your hand when you open it. With a little space, it fixes that.

"How do you put the release cut-out in the bolster and handle material without using the spring liner as a backing?"
If you mean the back of the spring, in the past i have had to relive a little of the bolster to allow the spring a little more room to disengage.

The 10 deg bevel goes on the blade. I'll get a shot of it when I get back from Arkansas and show you. The bevel side depends on whether it's a right or lefthand knife.... This will show the side it goes on for a righthanded knife.

Old 02-08-2001, 04:36 PM
eadus

Thanks Jason, putting the bevel on the blade is not a problem, but does the same bevel go om the front of the spring?

Old 02-13-2001, 07:16 AM
Jason G Howell

I don't put a bevel on the lock, but I did notice in Bob T's book he does put a bevel on his. I know no bevel works for me.

Old 02-13-2001, 09:19 PM
CKDadmin

Jonesy? The Scott Jones?

Good to see you, dude!
Alex

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives