MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 11-20-2001, 08:33 PM
ArchAngel

Lock Designs

Greetings all!

I'm a bladesmith just getting into the arena of folding knives and I've come across a roadblock in my research. I'm interrested in making lock-blade knives, but I'm not interested in the traditional lock-back or liner locking designs. I know there are more designs out there, but I can't seem to find any info on them.
Are there any good websites you could direct me to that might provide me the info I'm looking for? My searches of the web have thus far been fruitless.
I'm also interested in building a reliable (i.e., not-very-likely-to-close-on-you) automatic knife. My design is for a blade of about 1 1/2 inches. Any design advise?

Thanks for any input you may have.
ArchAngel
Old 11-20-2001, 10:39 PM
Frank Niro

folder locks

I think you are going to find that other lock types are going to be covered by patent etc. You could buy a knife with a certain type lock , take it apart to copy BUT you cannot use these systems to make knives for sale. That is probably why you don't see to many descriptions. I don't know what the regulations are for patents in the U.S.A. but in Canada I'm quite sure you can legally make One for your own use. The answer is to come up with your own lock system. If it's any good you probably be able to sell it to one of the knife manufacturers and still have an agreement to make all you want. Good inventing. Regards Frank.
Old 11-23-2001, 04:58 PM
Jason G Howell

Re: folder locks

One lock I really like is the scale release and bolster release knives. Both, however, are built on a regular lockback frame, just configured to allow the bolster to pivot and release the lock. My suggestion would be to build a few traditional lockbacks and get the feel for them. After that, play with a bolster release to get the idea, incorporate into your lockback. Hope this helps some.

Old 11-28-2001, 07:20 PM
ArchAngel

Folder Locks

Thanks for the input guys. I've got a few ideas I've been working on. I'll let you know how the turn out when I have the opportunity to implement them.

Michael

Tags
forge, knife, knives, switchblade