MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 10-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Seeking instruction for knife sharpening

I am seeking training on knife sharpening. My search for training has come up short. I contacted the Guild hoping for a direction to find training. They suggested that I post on the forum and they thought that I would get some sound advice regarding my quest. I live in the Augusta, GA area and am willing to travel to receive training. I would appreciate any suggestion, direction or thought you might have regarding this matter. I want to learn the correct way to sharpen knives so I can do a good job and not to ruin a good knife. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your replies.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Try using the search function. There have been long discussions on here about sharpening methods.

There is no single sharpening method. Different folks find that different tools work best for them. The basic ideas of establishing and keeping the right angle during sharpening, keeping the blade cool (usually by working slowly), and removing the wire edge at the end will be the same no matter what sharpening tools are used.

Some steels take more work to sharpen than others (because of the hardness of that steel and because of carbides that exist in some steels), and that may affect the choice of sharpening tools.

A great piece of advice I once read in a magazine was to go in the kitchen and gather up all the knives. If your kitchen is like 99.9% of them, there will be dull knives in it. Practice on them. When you've got you technique consistent, then you can work on that hunting knife.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Steel Addict

TexasJack's advice on the use of kitchen knives is great for two reasons. First is they are usually thinner steel and second is they are usually softer steel than a hunting knife. Both of which make them easier to sharpen for a beginner. Many other reasons as well such as they are available and as he says usually dull.
You need to consider the means of sharpening and most basic is a large bench stone. I recommend a diamond stone because they stay flat, last a long time and readily remove metal in a predictable manner. There are many fixtures and jigs to help you maintain a constant angle on the edge, some work, many are expensive. A bench stone and some hands on experience. It is like anything else worth having, you have to put in some sweat equity.
There is a lot of information about angles of the edge available on the internet. The angle depends on the use of the knife. A more laid back angle for a sharper thinner edge for les strenuous cutting and a steeper angle for a more heavy duty edge. Playing around with the kitchen knifes will help you understand these angles.
Take your stone and act like you are trying to take a thin shaving off of it with the full length of your blade. What you will be doing is abrading off metal from the edge of your knife. Repeat from the other direction to remove metal from the other side of the blade. When the abraded surfaces of each side of the knife meet you will be approaching a sharp edge.
This is a very simplistic explanation to what can be a very complex topic. I would suggest you attend a Ga Guild meeting and ask for some help. We have one coming up at the end of this month. You will find many people willing to give you more information than you can use. Look me up at the meeting if you can make it.

www.twinxblades.com
Director Knifemakers Guild

Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 AM

What Charlie said. Besides, you'll meet a lot of very fine craftsmen and knifemakers at the meeting...and...you will be able to get the guidance you seek at the best price.........free!
Hope you will try and make it.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to attend the October meeting as you suggested however I must work that day. I will continue my search and act upon your suggestions. Thanks again and hoprfully I can go to the next meeting.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 AM

jib
You might contact James Poplin - Pop's Knife Supplies. Don't have the link handy but you should be able to google his website. His shop is right close to you in Washington. He can supply you with any type of sharpening system or materials/supplies needed for sharpening knives. And, if you catch him at the right time, would be able to give you some very good pointers on shapening. He is fine fella just a bit busy most the time.
Also Ken Simmonds, knifemaker, lives in you area and you might be able to get some direction from him. Should be able to contact him through the Guild's web site.

Sorry you can't make the meeting. If things change, come on, you'll always be welcome.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 AM

Carl,
Thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of town and busy helping my daughter and son-in-law with their martial arts school. I will definitely follow up with the contacts your suggested. Thanks again. Hopefully I can make the next meeting.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 AM

'nother fella over your way that might be able to help you, especially if it is in regards to oriental style blades is Dean Gates. Think he has a website but you'll have to google it. I don't have a link.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knifemaker, knives, post, sharpening, supplies, supply