MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

Electrical Motor Question

Please bear with me as I am not really familiar with how to choose an electrical motor for a grinder.

Here is one I found on Surplus Center Website

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...atname=electric

....and from my understanding I want to find a DC motor and couple it with the proper Controller to convert to AC pulse power to variate the speed, am I correct in this assumption? I couls be totally wrong and completely off key here so I am seeking some input before purchasing a motor for my future Grinder.

Thanks

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 02-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Skilled

Hey Buddy,

Nope, that's a single phase AC motor. Not gonna work with a DC controller.

You're looking for something more like this:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

and this:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

However, that combination would require some 'tweaks' . You might be better off with a package deal.

Steve

Old 02-25-2004, 04:09 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Do a search on "variable speed three phase". DC motors have always been the standard when it comes to variable speed, but lately, inverter technology has enabled us to be able to use three phase motors (with single phase power) for variable speed. There have been several treads about them on these boards. Not only would the three-phase and variable drive cost you about the same or less than the DC motor and the drive, there's much less to go wrong in the 3-phase. I've had the magnets fall out of the DC that drives my Wilton Square Wheel, and if I could afford it, I'd swap it out for the 3-phase with variable drive.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-25-2004, 08:39 PM

You might check these out for a good package deal.

http://www.dealerselectric.com/

Bob Jensen
Old 02-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

thanks for the info! now one more question.....is a 1800 RPM motor sufficient? the like that went to dealers electric has a 2hp with drive for 580, but max RPM is 1800.

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 02-26-2004, 11:05 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
That depends on the size of the drive wheel and your desired maximim belt speed. The larger the drive wheel, the faster the belt will go. You'll have to decide what the maximum FPM you wish to have available is and back into the speed of the motor and size of the drive wheel.

Fr'instance:

I want a maximum of 3500 feet per minute.
I want to use a 1800 rpm motor.
The circumference of the drive wheel I'll need is 3500/1800=1.94ft.
The diameter of the drive wheel would then be: 1.94/3.14=.61ft.=7.32"

So using a 1800 RPM motor with a 7.25" to 7.5" diameter drive wheel would yield approximately 3500 feet per minute.

This is just one of those things that you have to back into -- decide what the desired results are and extrapolate what you need to accomplish it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwitty
thanks for the info! now one more question.....is a 1800 RPM motor sufficient? the like that went to dealers electric has a 2hp with drive for 580, but max RPM is 1800.

1800 RPM will work just fine!!

Edited to add; I don't know what 2HP unit you are looking at, but the front page of the Dealers Electric site shows a 2HP 230V complete unit for $385.00.
http://www.dealerselectric.com/

Last edited by Mike Hull; 02-26-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

Well I called them and it is 580.00 for a motor comprable to the AC motor on beaumont metalworks website....we were talking about the NEMA 4 motor and Driver.

s#$%!!"