MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Possible solution if you want to accept credit cards

Several years ago I decided that I needed to be able to accept credit cards, and went with a local bank who offered the services.....what a nightmare! The costs ate me out of house and home, the red tape was endless, and I could never get anyone to answer my questions..... I dumped that account, and have not taken credit cards for a number of years...and there is no doubt that not being able to accept credit cards has cost me sales.

Fast forward to now. With the help of my good friend Steve Kelly, I think there might be a solution for Knifemakers. An individual, who is one of Steve's neighbors, operates a business, setting up merchant accounts for credit cards. Her name is Tanya Haas. She's been at this for 10+ years, and not only knows the ins and outs, but will actually take the time and effort to educate you, and explain everything.

Steve gave Tanya my phone number, and about two weeks ago we started discussing my options. Where every other outfit talked in gibberish, and did their best to dodge all my specific questions, Tanya took the time and effort to explain EVERYTHING to me, ensured that I understood, and offered me the absolute best deal I have ever seen for being able to accept credit cards.....something I could afford, and a real person to speak with when I have questions or need explanations. When it came time to fill out the application, Tanya emailed me the forms, I printed them off, and she spent a couple of hours on the phone with me, helping me fill it out, and explaining each line until I understood.

This isn't a sales pitch.....its just Ed Caffrey, trying to help out the family of knifemakers that have been so wonderful to me over the years. I'm not getting anything out of it, and do not want anything, except to help Knifemakers who might be interested in being able to accept credit cards. To that end, if your interested in being able to accept credit cards, you can contact Tanya and see what she can do for you....... here is the information for contacting Tanya:

Tanya L. Hauss,

(954) 608-5103 cell

(406) 837-2173 office

(406) 837-2174 fax

(954) 608-5102 John Hauss cell

thauss@haussaccounts.net

All I can tell you is that Tanya was very honest, open, and helpful. I felt good about dealing with her, and she gave me a FAR better deal than any other outfit I have dealt with. She is currently processing my account, and I should be ready to accept credit cards by the end of the month. Its the best deal that I have seen for folks like us, and just thought that I would share it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast

I got set up to take CC a while back. Your right about it being a pain! I'll be looking forward to hearing how it's working out for you in about 6 months when my obligation to my current company is over.....

It sure is hard making it easy for people to give ya money.....

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 PM

They have an app for you who have iphones. My daughter has used it in her business (embroidery). My bother in law is now using it. Keith Richard- Hill Country Knives. Has really helped his sales.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

If you set up a Paypal account,you can invoice your client who does not have a Paypal account,via email.They can check out,pay you,with a bank card or credit card.
Its very simple.
-Vince
Old 12-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Good suggestion!

With PayPal's ever-growing experience and resources, it has also become a fairly good fraud filter as well. If you use them on random transactions, not those that only you initiate, you might also require that the buyer be a "Verified" PayPal member. By doing this, you are decreasing the chances of payment fraud significantly. The verification process that PayPal employees will vet the address and bank account of the buyer. Someone with a legit address and bank account is generally a "real" citizen, not a scammer. Also, they perpetuate continuing ethics by monitoring the trade of their members. In order to keep your status, you have to abide by ongoing transaction rules and required procedures.

PayPal is a good option for many low transaction volume merchants. I recommend it highly!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I agree Alex! Paypal is a very viable option!

Since starting this thread, another option has been brought to my attention. If you have a smart phone, Intuit (the folks who sell QuickBooks software) offer a credit card payment solution called "GoPay". I don't own a smart phone, but a couple of my knifemaker friends have been using it, and tell me that so far they have not found a "down side". There are no monthly fees, and they rate is 2.7-3.9% of each purchase. It's also free to sign up, and they send you a free "card swiper" that attaches/connects to your smart phone. I know it will work with the Iphones, but you would have to check with them on other models.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
I agree Alex! Paypal is a very viable option!

Since starting this thread, another option has been brought to my attention. If you have a smart phone, Intuit (the folks who sell QuickBooks software) offer a credit card payment solution called "GoPay". I don't own a smart phone, but a couple of my knifemaker friends have been using it, and tell me that so far they have not found a "down side". There are no monthly fees, and they rate is 2.7-3.9% of each purchase. It's also free to sign up, and they send you a free "card swiper" that attaches/connects to your smart phone. I know it will work with the Iphones, but you would have to check with them on other models.
For my woodworking I looked into this and Intuit's is only free until you make $1000 a month (I think that is right) then there is a monthly fee (at least when I was looking). There is also square that works with many smart phones and the ipad (the option I went with), similar percentage to "GoPay".

http://rpaynecreations.weebly.com/

Tags
knifemaker, knives, software