MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-15-2001, 12:12 AM
Frank Niro

Etching and coloring Meteorite Metal

I just got me some really nice meteor material, already sliced and ready to go.(well just about) I'm sure I saw that what is called that Widmanstatten pattern once before when I was studying samples in a geology course I was taking. Well if you have seen this pattern I'm sure it may have caught your interest. I am asking for information as to how to finish this material. What should I etch this with and what about heat coloring? Good information is much appreciated however if you are not sure I would preffer you try your own material first. This material is some on the expensive side-at least for me. Much thanks to those who have some usable proceedures. Frank Niro.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:48 AM
Don Cowles

Contact Dan Fronefield at dfronfld@hiwaay.net. He makes folders using meteorite exclusively, and is more than willing to share information. Visit his site at home.hiwaay.net/~dfronfld/ for a look at some of his work.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:13 PM
Frank Niro

Meteorite Metal

Thank you very much Don. After opening his web site I would have to say that my question will be an easy one for him. Thanks again. Frank Niro.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:10 PM
Frank Niro

Meteorite metal

Don He gave me some swell information!! Frank Niro.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:47 PM
Janet Ruhl

Re: Meteorite metal

Frank, don't keep us in suspense! What did he tell you???
Old 01-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Frank Niro

Meteorite material

Sorry guys . I didn't mean to be rude or disrespectfull to you..
Check the piece under magnification for cracks. If there are cracks in the finished item it will show rusting.Finish it done to 600 grit. Do not buff. Any time you are not working on the bolsters put them into a bath of denatured alcohol. When finished all work leave in the alcohol bath for a couple of days to ensure you remove any moisture before etching.Do not touch the surface with your fingers. Use a fresh batch of ferric chloride with 20% ferric chloride with distiled water. Watch the etch closely. too little etch and the surface will look dull: too much and a ragged appearance will show.Rinse with the distiled water and place in the alchol for a feww days. treat the material with Sheath or a silicon product. Sorry he didn't say what to do if you see the rusting or a crack. Heat coloring doesn't seem to be a good idea because the pattern (called Windmanstatten in this type) is easily destroyed. That's what I got guys and very happy to share this or anything else I may have knowledge on .Regards Frank Niro.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:05 AM
Janet Ruhl

Re: Meteorite material

Thanks Frank! That's the first info on Meteorite etching that I have seen anywhere. Did you try it yet on your pieces?

Peter
Old 01-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Frank Niro

meteorite material

Hi Janet. Thanks for your interest.No I expect it will be 4 or 5 weeks yet before I get on that knife. I am waiting for a piece of hardened what I call star burst damascus made by Damasteel to use for the blade. I will probably use some mammoth ivory for the scales. I think I finally may have a digital camera that works,and if so perhaps when I finish that one I could post a picture if tht's okay. Will see anyway. I do so enjoy the forums to get help and to try to give help in return up until 16 months ago I was completely self taught but still was trying to help the guy who was asking. My first remarks have always been "I can only show you what I know so don't be to surprized when you see you are helping me."
Old 01-27-2002, 01:35 PM
MtMike

Re: meteorite material

I hope this is the right place for this question -- after seeing all the precautionary steps for handling meteorite, are there any special steps necessary for preparing leather materials for a sheath? I use only veg tanned, and have started using ballistol to neutralize any residual acids. Anything else I need to know to protect the meteorite from discoloring?
Thanks in advance,
MtMike
Old 01-28-2002, 01:05 AM
Frank Niro

meteorite material

Sorry Mike I can't help you. I use presentation boxes.

Tags
blade, knife, knives