MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-16-2002, 02:05 AM
Registered

Can anyone identify this knife?

Sometime in the early 1960's, my grandfather brought back a fixed blade knife from Cuba. The blade is engraved in Spanish and speaks of the Cuban revolution. something about if you try to hurt me you will find a skin of steel, or something to that effect. There is a picture of a pack mule in the jungle engraved on the blade. The handle appears to be bone, sort of a grayish color. The blade is nickel or stainless steel; very shiny. The handle also has a steel "brass knuckle" guard on it. The knife appears to be about 10 to 12 inches in length.

Any ideas on this?

rob Wynne
Old 08-16-2002, 11:44 AM
Skilled

Sorry, I can't help you with the knife, although it sounds, in general, like the typical Mexican tourist knives.
I would however, be very interested in how your Grandfather travelled in, and out of Cuba, in the 1960's.

Old 08-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

I do not think the knife is a Mexican tourist knife as, about three years ago, a knife dealer saw the knife in my office and found it in one of his reference books with a picture of it. The knife was said to acknowledge the Cuban Revolution.

I did not follow up on this bit of trivia as there were other more pressing matters at hand. Now, I am curious.

As to my Grandfather (and father's travels) well, none of us have really got a straight answer from either what they did during the 1940 and 50s. I know my dad worked Stateside during WWII with a civil branch of the Department of Defense concerning certain ethnic issues. Both are now dead and I suppose I could find out as both seemed to travel without restriction during their lives.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

RSW
Old 08-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Skilled

Vetus, I did not mean to imply it WAS Mexican, just that it was similar. I should have been more specific.
The Mexican knives usually have Aluminum knuckles. I have never seen brass. Here are a couple of links to help you identify the knife.
Good luck, and, it sounds like your Grandfather led an interesting life.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=691

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthread...t=&Board=UBB40

It might help if you could post a photo, or even a scan of the knife at either of those places.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives