MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 07-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Skilled

Randall "Happy Camper"..Stage #3

O.K. folks,
We have arrived at stage #3 out of 4 total stages in our new building project. Just to quickly review for all of you, we are building a Randall "camp" knife, with all of your input. "You" are deciding just how this "happy camper" is put together. Similar to our "hunting" knife we built, this Randall will be offered for sale at "catalog" price, with delivery to be expected 90 days upon completion of this project! All who participate are eligible to "pick a number" from the cap (Cap's cap). Their will be 100 numbers to choose from and the person who guesses closest or exactly "that" number, will be the winner!!
This whole exercise is designed to help you understand the options available on Randall knives, as well as being a whole lotta fun! Please participate in this and the final stage. Only members of this forum, who "contribute" will be eligible. Pretty good chance to win!!
The blade choice for this camp knife has been chosen to be a "Combat Companion", 5" blade (the only blade length a combat companion is available in), and stainless steel forged 1/4" blade stock. O.K.: Now let's choose the handle and shape of the handle. Keep in mind that just because you think a certain handle will look "cool" or "different", that does not mean that the Randall shop will make it. Not all handle shapes are available on all models. We will discuss this at another time, but for now..Let's start!!
Handle materials available on a "Combat Companion" are as follows: Leather, stag, maroon, green canvas, black, antique gold micartas, ironwood, rosewood, walnut, & maple! Plenty to choose from and all available from the Randall shop. If you, at some point, decide to supply your own material for a Randall knife, they will, more than likely, accept it. Keep in mind that customer supplied material (CW, code) carries no warranties and you take a risk of problems with it.
O.K., handle shapes: Standard, Commando, Concaved, Single finger grip, Border patrol, #22 style, Right or left-hand finger grips. That is all the handle options that are "listed". Does that mean that there are no other choices? Oh no!! You can also request a standard handle shape with finger grips "underneath", i.e. model #14 styled, or a flat-sided handle, i.e. "cattleman" styled. I call the later, "slab-side", but that's just me. I think that about covers it except that one of my most popular choices, when folks order my Stanaback Special, is "slab-sides "AND" finger grips!!! (just to further confuse ya')! Point is: several options can be put together at times to make up a unique Randall.
Good luck and have at it! I'll check in, from time to time, to make sure the ship is steering straight and answer any and all questions, if I can. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback
P.S. Please limit choices in this stage to "handle" and "handle-shape", ONLY!! We will get to hilt, butt cap. spacers options, etc. in stage #4. CCS

Old 07-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
OK, I'll jump in feet first. I'm not real big on stag UNLESS it has finger grips. I'm a wood fan. However, for this knife, stag w/fingers makes good sense to me. It provides a good grip in various enviroments, it's tough and it looks good.

Therefore, I guess my vote goes for a stag handle with finger grips.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 07-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Gary about the stag with finger grips. It just seems to make sense with a Camp Knife

Old 07-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
Oh deer, the men are going stag again. I love it too, but for this knife I would like to vote for antique gold micarta in either single finger grip or border patrol handle style.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

I'll vote for the Antique Gold with finger grips.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Steel Addict

I just knew that the new gold micarta was going to rear it's head here. I was very tempted myself. And I would love to see what it would look like on this knife. But, since a camp knife will be used for such things as filleting and other slippery chores, is it the best choice at this time? I'm not trying to argue, but I use a stag 25 for my user and I ASSumed that the micarta would become slippery during messy/bloody operations. Please correct me if you have experience to the contrary.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 07-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

I'll go with Antique Gold Micarta in a 22-style handle. The 22 handle (wth the crow's beak butt cap) stays locked in my hand pretty well.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Skilled

God, I hate computers! I'm in the middle of a long-winded response to all the posts, thus far, and... "BOINK"...I get dropped off line, once again!! I'll try one more time!
Great responses, so far. I am hoping that the piercer of pigs logs on and chirps in. "Pigsticker", like your's truly, uses his Randalls. There are good and bad points in almost everything ya'll have posted. Stag "usually" has a gnarly grip....but not always! I have received beutiful stag that was very smooth: almost "dressed or polished" in it's feel. You just don't know for sure. Green canvas micarta has the best anti-slippage of all the micartas that Randall supplies. The canvas has a bit more texture than paper or linens.
Gator brings up a point that I am sure will be echoed by Pigsticker: A model #22 handle, or a border patrol handle, for that matter, has great feel and control. So does a commando-shaped handle, a single finger gripped handle, and a model #14 handle. Just depends what ya'll like. A model #14, or "underneath" finger grips feel real good...."ONE WAY"! Turn the knife upside down and cut upward with it and it's a different story. The same thing can be said for right or left-hand finger grips, as well as the single finger grip, although not as severe.
A lot to think about. If I were going for a straight "hunter" I would be a little more concerned about the "anti-slip" debate. With a "camp" knife, I worry more about all-around usage and clean up! Just more to think about...curiouser and curiouser!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 07-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Hi Cap et al!

Just before the Captain's most recent post, I was thinking that there a great many things to ponder when it comes to choosing the handle material and shape for our camping companion knife. After reading his post, now I'm sure that I should think it over for a little bit before I post my choice.

However, I am leaning away from stag, just be different this time, but knowing me, I make come back to it.

Anyway, you folks have gotten the ball rolling pretty well, and I'm anxious to see what others have to say.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 08-01-2005, 06:01 PM

Well folks, I've given some serious thought to this question, and have decided, that it's very important that our "Camp" knife be well balanced, given all the chores it will be required to do. I think you will all agree that a balanced knife is much easier to work with, than one that is either blade or handle heavy.

After perusing the different configurations in the photo that the elusive Randall Man (so-called ordinary Super Hero) posted (for his equally elusive pal "Bill"), and taking into consideration the new variety of shop supplied mikarta (as one eBayer spells it); as well as Cap's musings on the utility of various handle shapes I thought it would be neat to see the following handle on the Combat Camper:

Antique Gold micarta in the Border Patrol shape.

I've already decided on a single brass hilt and butt cap, but I'm not sure if the balance would be good (Cap will know), and besides I'm jumping the gun onto the next stage.

So please, let's hear from more of you folks.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 08-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

randalls

Yes, Cap I will put my two cents in. Allright here we go. First my point of view on this is we have a chance to build a cool custom camp knife(Thanks Cap) . Now dont get me wrong I love stag. I have 3 users in stag love it. Once again I think we should do something other than stag. Reason is, sometimes you can get a big pice of stag that does not feel good or fit the hand. Also it could make the knife unbalance, and if you through a crows beak on it it just isnt going to work. In my users I have a model 3 with green micarta I love it. The micarta will and has held up well in use. It still looks damm good. So with all that said. My two cents is a border patrol grip. Why it is ambidextrous and feels wonderful in either hand. Matrial would be green micarta. Why it looks good and is tougher than nails.It also balances the knife very well . Also the buttcap would be a crows beak with a thong whole. Well guys there it is my point of view.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 AM

I think for this knife I'd go with border patrol green canvas micarta although I'd be partial to slab side stag with finger grips too.....aith
Old 08-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsticker
...sometimes you can get a big pice of stag that does not feel good or fit the hand. Also it could make the knife unbalance, and if you through a crows beak on it it just isnt going to work.
This makes a lot of sense. I like to think that I can be open-minded without being wishy-washy. My vote has been swayed to Green Micarta. I can live with the model 22 style handle or the finger grips.
I know that a lot of us (myself included) would like to see a knife in the new gold micarta. But, I am sure that the green micarta is tacky and feels/looks good as I have it on a number of my knives. The gold is an unknown entity to me. Plus, the green just seems more "earthy."

My $.02 from left field and off the wall.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 AM

Howdy Raindog!

Quote:
I am sure that the green micarta is tacky and feels/looks good as I have it on a number of my knives. The gold is an unknown entity to me. Plus, the green just seems more "earthy."

Not tryn' to influence ya here, but what a beeootiful knife a new gold micarta handled camper would make for your girl friend! :cool:

Gotta go, trouble keeps me on the run...

Best

RM

Faster than a Starflight. More powerful than a #14 Attack. Able to leap continents with a single mouse click. Look! Up in the sky! It's a knife. It's a sheath. It's Randall Man! A strange visitor from Mars who came to Earth with powers far beyond those of mortal men. Randall Man - who can change the course of streams of consciousness, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as ?, mild mannered collector of RMK, fights the unending battle for Truth, Justice and the Humane Way.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Man
Not tryn' to influence ya here, but what a beeootiful knife a new gold micarta handled camper would make for your girl friend!
Shhhhhh! SHe is torn between a green micarta Guardian and a stag #11. Don't muddy the waters. Who was that bandanaed man?

- Ronald Reagan

Tags
blade, knife, knives