MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

HT ovens

Hey guys

I have been wanting to buy a HT kiln for some time now. What's the best bang for the buck! Ive been looking at even heat and sugarcreek. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's to these ovens besides the price diffrence. Ive never used either one but I been trying to decide between the evenheat kf 18 or the sugarcreek 24" big knife kiln and whether to get a digital controller for the sugar creek if i get that model of just go with the cheap infinite switch.

Thanks for you Time and help!

Daniel Stevens
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Dannyboyy I'm in the market for a kiln also. I have heard of the evenheat but not the sugarcreek. Could you post a link or web address if they have one thanks. By the way I'm leaning toward the paragon. I have seen one used and never heard anything bad about them. Also thought about building my own but electrical work is not in my bag of tricks. Whatever you end up buying please post its pros & cons after you use it a few times. Thanks, PORK CHOP
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Steel Addict

I recently bought an Evenheat 13.5 and I can't find anything I don't like about it. I got the digital controller (I'm not even sure you can get it with a manual conrtrol (and it's so darn easy to program and operate I can't imagine not having the dgital.

Don
Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 PM

I have the Evenheat KF24, ( You don't even want to think about what it costs to buy one of those on this side of the big pond ) but I have to say that I think it was worth every penny I spent on it. I can't see the point of having an electric oven for H/T work if you don't take advantage of the ability to set it to exact temps with a digital controller. Programming couldn't be simpler and I'm yet to screw a blade up because of poor H/T since I started using it.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Guru

Get the digital controller or plan to change it out on your own. The sugar creek is a good oven, but I think the cost advantage goes down a bit when you add a digital control from the factory. I've heat treat many many knives in a sugar creek oven.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Guru

I'm not familiar with Sugar Creek but both Evenheat and Paragon are quality, each with their own advantages. IMHO The Evenheat has better controls and the Paragon has a stronger oven body and better doors.

BTW: Pay the extra for digital controls. Definately worth it.

Gary

Tags
blade, knife, knives