MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-20-2001, 10:28 PM
Vaquero57

1x30

Geno, When I push unevenly on belt either with platen or slack belt the belt slides over to the side opposite being pushed against. Sometimes it will stay there till you guide it back by pushing the opposite and sometimes when you release pressure it comes back on its own. In other words the belt does not stay put when grinding. I can shim it to make it track straight but it moves all over when pressure is applied. Suppose I add a tracking mech.? I may be able to control it better but that still will not correct my problem. I will constantly be adjusting it every pass with the blade. This shouldn't be. The belt should stay in place when you grind. It does track nice and straight when not grinding. And like I said sometimes when you stop grinding the belt returns and sometimes it just stays there. It is a weird problem. When the platen is attached it never returns because when it moves on you it rides over the platen and the platen keeps it from coming back. I am really confused. How is a tracking mech. gonna fix THIS problem? I am afraid I might run into this problem with my 2x72. Let me overemphasize the fact that it is tracking straight. Cory
Old 02-20-2001, 10:35 PM
BCB27

Try increasing the tension.

Brett
Old 02-20-2001, 10:41 PM
Vaquero57

So you are saying that not being tight enough on the belt tension causes this problem? Cory
Old 02-21-2001, 06:30 AM
Don Cowles

If you are grinding against the contact wheel, you are correct- this should not be happening. *HOWEVER*- if you are grinding using the slack belt, that is exactly what happens with all belt grinders.
Old 02-21-2001, 02:38 PM
Mike Conner

I have never tried this on a 1 inch belt, but on a 2X72 two wheel grinder you can add a norrow strip of tape to the center of the idler wheel about two wraps and it will keep the belt from moving from side to side when using the slack belt. Might be worth a try on the 1 inch belt as well.
My small 1X42 that I use for shaping handles has a fair amount of crown on both the drive and idler wheel and it stays put fairly well.
Mike
Old 02-21-2001, 09:42 PM
Vaquero57

I took a file tonight and with motor running I domed my drive wheel slightly. It helped. This weekend I will add a tracking adjustment. Cory
Old 02-26-2001, 11:32 PM
Geno

Cory,
I thought I had posted an answer to this. Pat has been trying to teach me how to use this thing (she normally does all the typing). I just had a lesson in Add Post with preview vs. without.

I seem to have a lot of "missing" posts out there. Please be patient. I am completely illiterate with this thing.

Tension or tightness of the belt can cause it, as can no crown on your wheel or old twisted belts (stored).
A tracking wheel is important, and not all belts run the same.
Crown the top wheel and flatten the drive wheel. This seems to work best unless the belt rotates backwards (up).

Sorry it takes me so long to answer.

Tags
blade, knife