MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Dennis Paish
Tomahawk Handles and Drift

Greetings,
I am looking for a source of tomahawk handles and a compatible drift. Most blacksmith sites which carry the tomahawk drift only carry hickory handles. Hickory handles are great 'working' handles but I also like to purchase some high quality curry maple handles too (for wall hangers).

Do all tomahawk drifts compatible to all handles? If not where and who carries a drift with a wide selection of handles?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Dennis Paish
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Steel Addict

http://www.hawkinsknifemakingsupplies.com/
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Steel Addict

I have never seen anything but hickory. Why not make your own out of whatever kind of would like?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Steel Addict

I was trying to remember the name of where I got mine, but the link already got posted above. I got set to use the drift, but ended up with a failure in my forging technique before I got to the large drift, so still untested. That being said, I have no belief it won't work great with the handles I bought. As you can see from the linked site, they sell various wood handles so you can make some nicer ones. There are other places that sell some exotic wood handles, too (I'll try to look them up and post here). The drifts are pretty standard-teardrop shape. If the place sells specific tomahawk handles, they should fit your drift.

Jeremy
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 AM

Check http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/ great selection and prices. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Honestly, I keep an eye on ebay for my hawk drifts.....there's a single seller that I can find every now and then that has quality drifts.

For anything other then hickory or ash hawk handles, my suggestion is Rade Hawkins (mentioned in a previous post). Rade has some of the nicest maple hawk hanldes I've seen.

Hawk handles are just like any other handle you'd find on the market, there are slight differences from maker to maker, and from batch to batch. What you likely want is "Large" Hawk handles. And likewise, you want a drift for Large hawk handles. Most things we would drift, such as hammers require they be drifted from each side....when drifting a hawk, it should only be drifted from the top of the head ONLY.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Steel Addict

On Ed's note of drifting the heads, it reminded me of some videos recently posted by a smith:
http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ip..._0&#entry10159

He's got some pretty neat videos showing his process. I remember seeing some people drifting the head from both sides in the beginning. But, as Ed mentioned, it needs to be finished out in the correct direction-from the top, because of the taper. Just my luck, I'd be paying attention to something else and end up with a head that flies off when I swing the handle.... .

You may know all of the above already, but figured I'd post just in case. Be sure to post pics-I love seeing cool tomahawks .

Jeremy

ETA: Forgot about this thread that has a great tutorial for making a wrapped hawk. It's not a drifted head, but he uses a drift during the wrapping to get the correct eye shape. Just figured I'd add it in for some extra info.
http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/inde...howtopic=26567

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-23-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Tags
beginning, blacksmith, exotic wood, forge, forging, handle, handles, hawk, make, make your own, maple, post, tomahawk, wood