MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-22-2002, 12:10 AM
Ed Caffrey

Converted Surface Grinder pics.....

I just finished putting a post up on my forum with pics of my surface grinder that has been coverted to use 2X72" belts.................Here is a link to take you directly to the post.

pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm4.showMessage?topicID =457.topic
Old 02-22-2002, 10:14 AM
JohnM

Ed, I have a couple of questions?

I am considering a surface grinder and am curious as to why you converted the grinder to use belts? I may have missed a previous discussion about this. Also, is the Harbor Freight grinder of sufficient quality to get steel flat to within a couple of thousandths? Thanks.

JohnM
Old 02-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Bob Warner

Re: Ed, I have a couple of questions?

John,

Read this thread pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm6.showMessage?topicID =306.topic
Old 02-22-2002, 10:51 AM
JohnM

Thanks, Bob

It all makes sense now. For my needs, into the forseeable future, removing scale, getting steel flat, etc., it seems like the Harbor Freight machine would do the trick and can be converted to use belts at a later date as needed. Any comments on how the H. F. model holds up?

JohnM
Old 02-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Ed Caffrey

Re: Thanks, Bob

I've used mine almost daily for the last two years. The only problem I have encountered was that I had to put a plastic bag over the switch lights. I was getting some sparks from metal dust working it's way into the light housing. A piece of clear plastic bag and some duct tape to hold it on solved everything.
To address the quality of the HF model grinder.....All of the import 6X12 surface grinders that come into the states are made on the same line, in the same "overseas" factory. This includes Grizzly, Jet, J&L, and any other "name brand". I spent about 6 months doing research before I purchased and finally talke to a guy in San Diego who is an importer. Once I convinced him I didn't want to import anything, he opened up and told me the whole story about how the surface grinders come off the ships in huge crates of 36 grinders. His people unpack whatever number goes to Grizzly, Jet, etc, re-paint them and slap a decal on them, then re-pack and ship them. So what your paying for with all those other 6X12 grinders is the paint, decal and shipping from him to the dealer. The ones that go to HF are never unpacked, just counted and sent to HF for sale. At a difference of $500-$1500, I can do without a fancy paint job and a decal. The next time you see pictures of any import 6X12 surface grinder, look closely and then compare to the "name brands", you'll find the machines to be identical.

Old 02-23-2002, 04:49 PM
JohnM

Ed, much thanks, again!

You have saved me a bunch of dollars. The Grizzly HQ is here in Bellingham, WA, so I have been looking at theirs. Western Tool also has the Jet here and both were closer to the $2,000 range. There is a Harbor Freight store in Eugene. I think I will order one and pick it up at the store during the knife show. That way, I will pay no shipping and there is no sales tax in Oregon. Thanks again for the great info., Ed.

JohnM

Tags
knife