MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 AM

Take your time and keep the first ones simple until you learn to "dance" with the grinder. There is a definite rythum to grinding just like forging. Once you get the steps right it'll be easy.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 5-J
Old 10-15-2017, 11:29 PM
Guru

Nice grinder Rockhound. If I may be so bold, if you have a tap set I might suggest you might want to drill and tap a small 6-40 screw hole on the small plate you JB welded to the bottom of the platen to hold the glass just for insurance. The JB Weld will probably be good enough and it's good to around 600 degrees assuming you used the two part regular JB Weld epoxy. I'm a nervous nancy on grinder safety, but that is what I'd do. If that glass ever does come loose it will be a miracle if you don't get hurt and I wouldn't trust even JB Weld. I saw you wrote welded the lip, but I didn't see a weld so I think you might have meant JB welded? If it is metal welded in one way or another then please disregard my suggestion.

Last edited by jimmontg; 10-15-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Skilled

Thanks Jim, the lip is indeed attached with three tack welds so she should be good.
I used the two-part formula of JB for the glass.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:50 AM

Congrats! Looking good

Tags
2x72, advice, art, assemble, bee, belts, choose, files, grinder, grinding, hobby, kit, kmg, knife, knifemaking, knives, making, mill, mount, package, paint, steel, stock removal, switch, tool