MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-02-2002, 08:10 PM
foxcreek

Wood finish

I bought a can of MINWAX ANTIQUE OIL finish a couple of days ago to try on wood handles. My brother always said It was good stuff but I had never tried it. It's great stuff! Basically an oily resin in solvent, thin consistency. It soaks in and evaporates, gets oily, buff it off with a rag and let it dry over night. Repeat. It builds up quickly and fills and hardens the grain. quick and easy. And it does look very much like an "oil finish" Finish with a couple of coats of paste wax and its good to go.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:12 PM
MaxTheKnife

I'm sticking to cutler's resin. It's easy, fast and messy as all get out! He he. And besides I have enough to last a lifetime. And it does a great job too Rich. If you ever give it a try you'll be sold on it. I just don't see how it can get any better than it does with cutler's resin.

Back when I was doing lots of woodwork Minwax was the only brand I'd use. If it didn't say Minwax on it I didn't use it. It's good stuff if a little pricey. I always have a can of Minwax golden oak stain/sealer on hand. I like to keep my wood finishes simple. One size fits all so to speak.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:14 PM
Raymond Richard

I'd bought a can of Minwax sanding sealer a few months ago and finally got around to trying it out. The one bowie that had the walnut handle was treated with the sealer. Dries real quick and smells perty.
Got that mole this morning, one down and who knows how many to go.... Ray
Old 04-02-2002, 11:41 PM
MaxTheKnife

What you going to do with a mole Ray? They taste worse than mudcats! The cats won't even eat them. Phooey!
Old 04-03-2002, 06:53 AM
Raymond Richard

Max, aint you ever had jerked mole? The only thing that seems to like them is the blow flys. Heck, the neighbors dog that lives out of my compost pile won't even touch them. I used to hang them up on the barbed wire fence hoping that would run off the rest but they never look up so that didn't work. I guess it was about ten years ago we threw a birthday party for a lady friend and I had skinned a mole and had given her the pelt. I had cut it around its neck and then about the same way on the other end and was able to roll it off, it came off in a tube. Her brother asked if it was a fur condum. Its was one of the best gag gifts I'd ever given. I have heard of coin purses being made from their pelts. I could use one to cover a sheath or maybe do a mole fur knife handle. Ray
Old 04-03-2002, 07:37 AM
MaxTheKnife

I find dead moles in the yard all the time. The cats kill them and leave them lay in the yard to turn to puke. I would compare skinning a mole to skinning a hotdog. Difficult and useless. He he. Although they do have several uses for moleskin. Wait, is that the same thing?
Old 04-03-2002, 07:47 AM
Raymond Richard

Max, you sure your cats are getting moles? Most the moles I know just kick the crap out of cats... I just looked out where I caught the mole yesterday and saw a new mound. I'll take a picture of the next one and post it if I catch this one. I'm thinking cats get goffers and alot of people out where I live mistake shrews for moles. We've got a killer thread going here...Ray
Old 04-03-2002, 07:50 AM
The Flaming Blade

Ear wax and nose oil.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:56 AM
Raymond Richard

The heck with the wood finish, were onto moles........
Old 04-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Lamnia Artifex

Back when I lived in NY we used to have a couple moles that would raid our tubers, and munch our earthworms. Then one winter our crazy dog Brittany caught one burrowing through the snow, and got the little blighter by the scruff of his neck. Unfortunately, it got her by the lip and wasn't about to let go! So my brother, about 8 yrs. old at the time, (I was only 6) took it upon himself to save the "poor little mole". He hadn't but seperated Brittany and the little black menace, when it latched onto him! He shook it off, and my dad fearing for rabies took him to the hospital. Seems moles can't even carry rabies, or at least that's what the doctor said. And what happened to the mole you ask? It lived a long fruitful life eating our veggies, that's what.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:30 PM
oakforge

moles

go down to the humane society and get ya one of them rat dogs like tai has you want have no more mole problems.that rat of mine will spend all da chasing them little burrowing critters.she dug one u once and somehow it clamped right on to her chest.funniest thing i eversaw she was dong circles trying to get it off. she finally rolled on it enough t get it to let go .it was all oer for the little burrower then. you culd almost feel the bones cracking as she shook it.they say rat dogs are 500 percent better ratters than cats. i gues hat would count for moles too.

0ak

Tags
knife