MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM

My first attempt at this knife making stuff

This is my first attempt and I will say before I try again I have to find a better way of cutting out the blanks. I drilled close to the line and then cut it out with a hack saw. I think I will be able to clean it up with files, belt sander and sand paper. I should have some more pics up tomorrow.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

A bandsaw is probably the easiest way to cut the rough profile but there are lots of other ways like the one you're using. One thing that would make your first knife much, much, MUCH easier would be to make a 4" hunter instead of those big bowies you've started on. New guys almost always make the mistake of trying to make a really big knife before they learn how to make any knife. I can see just from the way you have drawn the outline that you are headed for a hard time. Consider putting these knives aside for now and make one 4" hunter instead. Get your feet wet a little before you try to swim in the white water ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Started my first Knife

This is my first knife. It is 1095 (I know a bad choice for beginners) 12.5 inches over all, 8 inches of blade.

Any input is much appreciated.

I would like to find some one in the Las Vegas to help with the HT if any one is out here and willing to help me out if not I will have to be taking my chances.

Thanks for looking, I will be putting up more pics as I progress.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Hall of Famer

I would not lay out my edge on the edge of the billet. Just a slight curve farther back on the blade looks a little better. You might want to raise the point a little higher, not so much of a pronounced clip or a more consistent radius to the curve. You look like you had the right idea when you laid out the clip but you flattened it somewhere in the process of cutting it out. That little step that you put in just ahead of the ricasso will probably disappear when grinding the edge in. I also think that if you doubled the length of the ricasso that it would have a better visual appeal.

I take it that you will be putting a guard on this knife. Just make sure that that area of the tang is the widest point on it. You should also round out the inside corners with a small round file. The sharper the intersection of inside lines the more subject it is to stress.

Doug

Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the input doug, I think I at the point of no return on the clip. But I plan on doing three with this basic pattern. I will make that change on the next one.

I will double check to make sure the guard is the widest. I am pretty sure I drew it up so it would be but I have to say this knife did not turn out just like the pattern.

I will round out the corners before I HT. Should I round over the out side corners also? I would like to keep a nice 90 degree angel where the blade meets the brass guard for looks but it it will increase the chance of a break I will round them.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, I still have 2 feet of steel left so I will be able to try some thing else with that.

Also, I started another thread because I did not think this one posted could you combine them or just delete this one

Thank you
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Hall of Famer

The outside corners will not focus stress at the junction of the lines like inside corners will but if is where they will come in contact with the hand you may want to round them a little.

Doug

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM

thanks. I think this one is going to turn out ok. I have defiantly learned a few things I will do different next time. I have a few dings in the blade I am not really happy with, but I am going to try and "antique" the blade so I think the dings may work out ok and give it character.

I also have to even up the shoulders where the guard meets the blade. It is off just a little but should not be to difficult get it evened up.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Hall of Famer

It's worthwhile to keep going on it if for no other reason than a learning experience.

Doug

Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Skilled

Not bad so far. The clip is reminiscent of the "IRON MISTRESS" that Alan Ladd used in the movie of that title.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 PM

well here it is after 48 hours in wet coffee grounds. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. The tip is not really that shinny it is just a bad picture. I will be working on the wood handles this week. I have a few hardwood scales to choose from. I will post pictures when I get it all done.

Tags
1095, blade, brass, edge, files, grinding, guard, hunter, iron, knife, knife making, knives, post, scales, steel, tang