MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-07-2002, 01:10 PM
MaxTheKnife

Am I the only one that didn't forge a knife this time?

I forge knives all the time so I decided to try something different for this IITH swap. I didn't post pics of it this time either because it would spoil the surprise.

I was just curious how many people forged blades this time around. That 'anything from a railroad spike' title just begged for something a little different this time for me. I really enjoyed forging it too. So what'd you forge? A knife or a tool or trinket?
Old 04-07-2002, 02:01 PM
Raymond Richard

I forgot, please accept my apologue for not getting in the IITH this time. Been trying to get ready for the Oregon Show in two weeks. oooooooold Ray
Old 04-07-2002, 02:23 PM
ghostdog

Max, you ain't alone. I too forged something else, and like you I ain't saying what it is.

ghostdog
Old 04-07-2002, 05:25 PM
MaxTheKnife

Don't feel too bad Ray. I got started on my project two or three different times and couldn't finish because of my bum hand so I set it aside. I finally finished it this past Friday That was close! He he. With so much time to get it done, putting it off was easy. I have plenty of time I kept telling myself. DOH!!!

Hey Keith, birds of a feather flock together. It just makes it more fun for me keeping it a secret. Like Christmas in the middle of the year.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:40 PM
ghostdog

Hey Max,

Ya I barely finished mine too and I didn't have a bum hand. I seem to work better under pressure.

ghostdog
Old 04-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Jeff Sanders

mines not a knife this time
Old 04-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Diamond G Knives

Ive had mine done for some time now, got it out tonight, and guess what?
Rust!!! #### light rust all over it!!
Gotta start sanding boys!!
Hey when is the list coming out?
Mike

Guess thats what I get for being so prompt!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Dana Acker

Re: Light rust? No Problem.

Spray with WD40, brush lightly with a wire brush--then tell eveyone it's patina. They'll think you're a wizard.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Dana Acker

I...uh...patina my outdoor anvil all the time...yeah, patina, that's the ticket.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:40 PM
MaxTheKnife

When it rains my anvil face gets wet. That makes rust, not patina Dana. Hey, that almost rhymed! He he. Oh, anyway, I'm slowly refinishing the face of my anvil by letting it rust each time it rains and then wire brushing it off till it's smooth (er). At this rate I should have it smooth enough to forge down to the edge by the time I'm around 82. Then, I'll realize I'm not 76 any more. But my anvil face will be nice and smooth. What's an anvil? And who crapped in my drawers?

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives