MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast

What a difference the proper hacksaw blades make! Finally got around to getting new blades. I didn't know the quality made such a huge difference in cutting. First I got a cheap pack and burned through both blades in a matter of minutes. Tonight I got 18tpi blades and they aren't even the bimetal ones, they were out. I just got the carbon ones to try out and man they sure cut good. I'm going to hit up another store tomorrow and get the 18 bimetal blades.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedArtist View Post
First I got a cheap pack and burned through both blades in a matter of minutes.
I had a similar experience with a "5 pack" of no-name blades. The teeth would just break off in seconds on some 154CM. My personal preference is Starrett, but DeWalt and LENOX are easy to find and do a good job.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Well I did a bunch of work last night. Felt good to rough out the blade after having the proper saw blades. I decided to make a small dip for my thumb. In the same place people put the grooves. Forget the term.. Anyway, The dip didn't look like I thought. So then I decided to do some file work to make the little groove and not just have a dip. First time doing file work. Think it turned out ok. Still needs to be cleaned up. But now I'm not sure I like the look of the knife. The back was all one nice curve and now it has a dip and I don't know.. I am totally my worst critic. My girlfriend thinks its great and thinks I found a good hobby. But I'm not in love with it yet. I know its a first knife but I had hopes of making something really clean and cool.

This happens to everyone else right?

Last edited by ArmedArtist; 05-18-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, that pretty much happens to everyone. Most of the problem comes about because the new maker starts out with the intent of making "something really clean and cool" instead of concentrating on learning the basics of what really makes a knife. Worry a little bit about clean, don't be concerned at all with cool. First, make a knife.

A knife is a simple, functional shape with a comfortable handle. There is only one sharp spot on a knife (the edge) and everything else should be rounded or at least smoothed so it won't rub blisters on your hand. And, more than anything else, a knife is the result of a good heat treatment.

So, for now, forget about cool. Make a simple blade, like a 4" hunter, send it out for heat treatment, then clean it up a little and put a cheap handle on it. Then sharpen it and test the heck out of it. You'll find things it does well and things that it doesn't do well at all. Maybe the handle shape burned blisters on your hand, maybe the edge turned out to be too thick. Build more simple knives like that until you can build something that works. After that, you will know what's cool and what isn't ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedArtist View Post
My girlfriend things its great and thinks I found a good hobby.
You're 1/2 the way there!

Dan
Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

I did a bunch more filing on it tonight. Tried to smooth the handle spine area some more. I think Ive filed off enough on the blade edge. Now Im just cleaning it up and then going to start to sand it. Feeling a bit better about it..
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast

Watching so many videos and reading so many posts, i'm starting to have dreams about the knife i'm making. And I still couldn't fully love the look of it. So today at work I traced the shape I had out. Then used a ruler and cleaned it up a ton. Came home today and took some more material off and took away the unsightly filing I did. Had to red rill the pin holes but no big deal. I think i'm finally filing the blade. Moving on to sanding it now to try to get the scratches out. I must say I am WAY more happy with the look then before. I'm glad I didn't just leave it.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 AM
Enthusiast

Also.. Is it normal to not have a bevel line on the blade?

I've watched this video lots of times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98cGkhN18o and thats about how my blade is looking. I did kinda mess up the ricaso a tad with the use of a round file. Dumb design idea that I think I can fix. But my blade doesn't have a distinct grind line. Should I try to file it a bit more to try to get that line?

I really need to make or find a filing jig to use. The jigs makes it look simple to make a nice clean line.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM

This is your first knife so I'll say again: worry about making a basic functional blade. A full flat grind is a lot easier to do than a blade with grind lines. Keep things as simple as possible until you have made a few knives and have the basic process under control.

A jig can make filing a bevel easier but they limit your flexibility. Most of them work well for the blade size/style they are designed for but not so well when you want something different. Lots of guys get frustrated at first and start by using jigs but most guys will out grow them. Jigs are useful when you want to turn out lots of identical blades but that's more about manufacturing than custom knife making. Better to just put in the practice and learn to control your files. Someday you will have a grinder and you will need the same kind of manual control with that. Of course, you can use jigs with a grinder too but few guys find that to be practical ....

Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Skilled

I agree with Ray. A jig may be great for a scandi grind on a certain size of blade, yet be difficult for a flat grind on the same blade. I had to move the blade frequently to get that desired flatness. In saying that, I am happy I worked with a jig to get my "feel" for the angles and how to motion my arms when filing. It's a thing that becomes automatic after a while, but you may need some guidance first.

Now that I have a grinder, I am learning a whole new set of movements. You're at a good place when you can make a great knife with a file. You're at a great place when you can make a awesome knife with a belt grinder.

Dan
Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Cool thanks guys. I need to learn the terms for the grinds and bevels better. My knife it a flat grind and thats how I wanted to make it. But I see a lot that you can see the line of the grind.

I like making it with a file so far. I put my headphones in and grab a beer and I zone out in the work. Was in the garage for 4 hours last night.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Also.. Today i'm going to buy a file. Should I get the mill file or a rough cut one? Or both? The ones i'm using are Chinese and I want to buy a nice quality one.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

Decided on a mill file. Got the 10 inch. Thought about getting the 12 but it seemed big. Should I have gotten the larger one? Since I am done doing rough cut thats why I got the mill. Also wanted to get better sand paper but Home Depot only had 320 in wet sanding. So I bought 220 regular paper and then 320 wet. Both made by 3M. On 440c should I go higher than 320 if I just want a slightly flat look. Like brushed steel.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 PM

You can get black silicon carbide sandpaper from most any auto parts place and many hardware stores. About320 is as far as you need to go prior to heat treat. After heat treat, you will probably need to go back to 220 and then work your way back up to 400 or so for the final finish. If you want a more satiny finish you can add a ScotchBrite pad to your sanding process.......

Old 05-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast

Sanded it to 320 tonight. Looks really good. I'm super happy with it. I can see some slight imperfections in one or two more areas so I think ill take it back down to 220 or maybe 150 to get it all out. I just hope my blade edge is still thick enough.

Tags
1084, 440c, bee, blade, blades, brand, carbon, chris, etching, files, grinder, grinding, hand, heat, home, knife, knives, make, making, material, new knife maker, scales, steel, tools, wood