MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Guru

Ok that 70 grit AO from HF should work???? i was just reading something and thought of something with that syphon pipe do you burry it in the bottom of the sand or lay it on the top ? i read that the syphon pipe need sand + air if its trying to suck up only sand it wont come up....i dont know ill play with it tomorow if all else fails get my brother over here he's done alot of auto body so i am sure he knows he just a pain to get him to do anything lately
Old 07-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I never thought about it before, my siphon is on the bottom under the sand. Doesn't seem to me that it would work very well any other way ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Guru

Did some reading last night and this morning and i got a couple ideas so i am going to go play with the sand blaster and see what happens........has anyone acid etched a knife after the handle is on i have a blade that has carbon fiber/orange g10 handle...its the one that i mentioned i tried to clean rust off of it with navel jelly and it had a very black etch that looked good (but still had little rust and pitting) so i brought it back to the grinder to get rid of that but i want to etch it again navel jelly that i used is basiclly phosphoric acid (and some other ingredients) so i was thinking of using phosphoric instead of ferric to see if it comes out like the navel jelly did but i am not going to dip the whole thing cause of the handle just the blade but i am wondering if some gets on that carbon fiber/g10 if it will mess it up or if i wipe the handle material pritty quick if it would be ok?
Old 07-03-2016, 10:19 AM

It probably won't hurt the handle material. Got any scraps to test with?

Old 07-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Guru

didnt get a chance with the etch today maybe tomorow the material on the knife is carbon fiber and g10 layered i have scraps of g10 but none with carbon fiber in it ill test on the g10 and then just go for it see what happens..........i made a little progress with the sand blaster i changed out the nozzle a couple times when i got to the biggest one it did start to work a little it would kinda burst fire when i pulled the trigger but wouldnt stay "on" like a semi- auto compared to full auto. but then i very quickly found out why the syphon hose was packed with sand from the bottom up to the gun and i mean PACKED i cleared it but kept happening....did some reading and found alot of people have this problem with this cabinet some have said to drill a small hole between 1/16 and 1/8 in the hose right above the sand so it sucks in a little bit more of air to "stir" up the sand as it goes through the hose and wont clog. this will have to wait for tomorow tho
Old 07-03-2016, 04:56 PM

I don't think I'd drill any holes until you've tried the correct media ...

Old 07-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Guru

Yeh i think i am going to just junk the sand the AO will be here in a couple days anyway. Oh ray...whoever else is reading this thread i did end up etching that blade it did absolutly nothing to the handle matterial and worked great on the blade but like i said i use phosphoric acid NOT ferric i etched this blade by accident trying to get rust of and it came out good (if the rust and pitting wasnt there) but it is made from phosphoric so i had some "prep and etch" phosphoric acid from home depot i didnt dilute it at all i was expecting it to go fast cause it wasnt diluted but it didnt it went kinda slow but came out like dark jet black but the finish wasnt as consistent as it could be but once i took a 3000 grit foam pad to it it lightened it up a bit but even out the finish and it looks great now but i am going to try and make it a lil darker with another round tomorow ill deffinitly put up a pic sometime tomorow when i get done with it suprised me how good it worked
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Guru

Ray as always you were right again got the AO for the sand blaster works great
Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Guru

Hey ray i know you said youve been using the same AO for a while in the sand blaster....does the AO break down over time and effect the finish? or does it pritty much stay the same? also have you tried different nozzels? i had 3 that came with it small medium and large but when i was searching for this stuff i had seen all sorts of nozzels so i was wonder if they give different effects or if its just a wide spray compared to narrow spray kinda thing?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 AM

The AO breaks down a little but that doesn't affect the finish as far as I can tell. I have one nozzle and never changed it. Changing the pressure you use affects the finish ....

Tags
art, blade, blades, carbon, coat, cold, custom, custom knives, dip, etch, flat, gun, home, hot, knife, knives, make, metal, powder, problem, sand, scratch, spray, stainless, supply