MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-02-2004, 09:40 PM

Engraved Ruger Vaquero.....

Back before Christmas....I hadn't received my new camera....I finished this Ruger. The photos were taken with my 35mm....so the pictures are a little fuzzy. My good engraving friend Ron gets all the Colts and I get the Rugers. It's about 75% engraved with open scroll with gold inlay on the cylinder and the muzzle. Later we installed stagg grips. The owner is a Cowboy Shooter and wanted somethng a little special.
Jim

Old 02-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Skilled

Looks good Jim... What type of background are you useing on these revolvers? Would you be able to get any closeup pics? I am also a Ruger fan.

Jeremy

Old 02-03-2004, 08:01 PM

Jeremy
I know it's hard to tell from the photos......
The background is relief engraved and stippled. I have done the punch dot method on these guns...but normally I leave it up to the client.

like most engravers...I use a square graver to cut and cross hatch the back ground and then take a very small flat point stippling punch to flatten and stipple the background. I do this as carefully as I can working the point into the tight areas...some times it is necessary to go back with the graver and re-cut or sharpen the outline.
Thanks for the question....
Jim
Old 02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Living Legend

Hi Jim .. From what I can see you did a great job on this Ruger .. In all of my engraving years I only engraved 3 Rugers andI refuse to engrave another one .. How hard was it to engrave and is this ss steel .Could you get us some close ups of your work. .. I refused to engrave about as many rugers as colts that i do .. I love those colts ..

Old 02-03-2004, 08:27 PM

Ron
Thanks for the compliment....It is especially nice coming from a single action engraver.
To answer your question....you bet it was hard. The frame was ok but the cylinder was tough and hard....the barrel was ok. I have done a couple of Colts and they are great to engrave. I found that the stainless used in the Rugers are brittle and don't give a good sharp line...very unforgiving. Also, I found that I would run into some soft and some hard areas....certainly causing you to go deep and then shallow. I believe this could be from the heat treating or the casting process of the frames. Angle and pitch of the graver makes a big difference.....so I am constantly making adjustments trying to find the best angles to work with.
My favorite firearm to work on is the 1911....plenty of flat areas and a good canvas for engraving. The hardest firearm I've engraved...and have done a number of them...is the HK P7/M8. These slides and frames are very, very hard. Another hard frame is the Pre-64 Mod. 70 Winchester....So frustrating...I almost called the customer and told him to come pick it up. I tough-it out and it turned out pretty nice. I am sure that I am like most engravers...give me something flat and turn me lose.........!

When you get a chance....I and others on this forum would like to see some of the fixtures you use for holding the Single Action in your engraving vice.

Ron, you offer an auful lot to this forum....thanks for being here.....

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Living Legend

HI Jim and thanks for your reply .. Like I always say what knowledge I have I share it with others.. I am here to teach and not to take it to the next world with me .. As soon as I can get some photos of my jigs that I use I will post them ..alsoI was wondering if any body was intreasted in how to draw gold wire. I know some of our engravers friends have a problem with starting it through the draw plate .. I had the same problems with Rugers that you have, that is why I refuse to engrave them. I just had a call from a customer from Cal. to engrave his ss. Ruger .. I said no . if i cant do a good job on engraving a fire arm i will not do it, some day that job will come back to haunt you so I try to do my very best and only work on what can be engraved .My aim is to work smarter and not harder .and thanks for the pat on the back you also contribute a lot to this forum thanks again jim ..

Old 02-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Guru

...Well... it "did" look great!
Something must be up with your hosting site Jim.
Completely lost the pictures while viewing.

Tim