MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

Finally got the grinder finished

After four years of grinding with a 2x42 Craftsman, I finally finished my "big boy" knife grinder. Back in January 2012 I bought the frame from another knifemaker who fell on hard times. Over the past 8 months I've picked up parts here and there, and finally got the machine running last week. The grinder is built off of the "No Weld Grinder" plans, but it's welded. I have a flat platen arm with 2 and 4 inch contact wheels, and I also rigged up a small wheel arm. The motor is 1 HP with three step pullies yielding belt speeds of about 1400, 2400, and 4400 surface-feet-per-minute.

There are many advantages to this grinder compared to my old one. First and foremost, it runs slower. Slower speed means slower metal removal, which means more control, which means higher quality with less effort. Second, it runs a 72 inch belt compared to the old 42 inch belt. This translates into longer belt life. The 2x72 is the standard knifemaking size, and so the belt selection of the 72 inch belts is much greater. Third, I have a much more versatile setup. The Craftsman was limited to a flat platen and a 4" aluminum wheel. My new grinder has three different wheel sizes so far, and can also be set up for hollow grinding once I buy the contact wheel for that.

While I'm talking about my grinder, I'll post a few pics about how I modified the NWG tool arm to fit a Bader small wheel attachment. The Bader attachment has a 3/4" peg and a 1/4" roll pin. I drilled a 3/4" hole with a step bit into a spare tool arm. I took out the roll pin, and drilled a 1/4" hole through the tool arm. Line the holes up, put a 1/4" bolt in, and you're good to go.

Also notice my Top Flite tracking adjustment knob

Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 AM
Skilled

Cool set up, Jason.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM

Well done. Nice set up
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Skilled

Very nice now get you a belt cleaner Eraser to save them belts .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Steel Addict

Nice, love the color. I wish mine was finished. I need pullies, drive wheel (I plan to pour that my self) and pillow blocks everything else is sitting here waiting on me.

You did such a nice job aren't you glad you didn't spend $2500 on a new one? There is no price for self satisfaction, stepping back and saying "I did that" has to feel good. enjoy.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, not regretting anything at all about this grinder. My quality has improved alot just by having a better machine. I have probably $600 or so in this one, beats the heck out of a $2500 price tag. I also don't know how I ever did with out a small wheel.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fry View Post
Yeah, not regretting anything at all about this grinder. My quality has improved alot just by having a better machine. I have probably $600 or so in this one, beats the heck out of a $2500 price tag. I also don't know how I ever did with out a small wheel.
Looks good Jason; I just finished making me another one yesterday. Building one sure makes you think

Here's mine; This is with a five in. conctact wheel, but I do have a an eight and a ten. I do want to make me a two inch.

Last edited by jank; 04-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Tags
back, building, craftsman, flat, grinding, knife, knifemaker, knifemaking, making, post, surface, weld