MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to bigaustin Send a message via MSN to bigaustin
Pull Graver

I made this new style of graver today.In normal,the graver we use called "push "graver,because we push the graver frontad,this graver called "PULL"graver,because when I use the graver ,instead of pushing ahead,I pull it back.I hold the graver like hold a pen .
I use this graver when I make dot(stipple bulino) or mini line (Italy style bulino)engraving .the bulino engraving did not need a lot of power ,so I just hole the pull graver like hold a pen .Using of it is more like use a pen to write on the metal.It is faster than the push graver.

disadvantage:
When I use this pull graver ,I can not see the cutting directly through the microscope ,so I had to use a dentist's little mirror,through the microscope and mirror ,I can look at the cutting ,but it is not comfortable.I will be very thanksful if somebody can give a better method to see the cutting.

austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PULL GRAVER.jpg (32.7 KB, 166 views)
Old 11-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Steel Addict

Hi bigaustin.
I make something like this but I solder a short blade between two open and spread out forks.
That way, I can see directly where the graver blade point is entering the metal and how far the cut has progressed.
I find it quite useful on some shading, bulino and scrimshaw.
It can also be done by bending a graver blank into a hook shape, an even more extreme bend than an inside ring graver. I find this shape difficult to use and control and mostly stay with the fork version.
Hope you and your bride are enjoying married life.
Just a thought, John.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Brian Marshall
"Nother trick that works is to take a large harness or sailmakers needle and alter it. These are heavier gauge, and the eye for the thread or lace is longer. Presharpen the metal at the end of the eye. Heat it and bend the "eye" slightly past 90 degrees. Reharden and temper, touch up the sharpening if necessary... You can see right through the "eye" while dragging the tool toward you.

Some of these needles are made of exceptionally good steel. They make great watchmakers screw#######, scribes, and tiny stippling tools. The triangular pointed needles are perfect little scrapers when sharpened. I've used them all my life for stuff they were never intended for - back in my first incarnation I was a saddlemaker, and I still have a lot of them in the studios.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
www.jewelryartschool.com

Tags
blade, knife