MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Skilled

Talking Power Tools!

Okay, I am currently using a copping saw and a Dremel with a carbide cutter to shape my handles; however, having the best wife in the world, I am about to get a scroll saw so I don't have to do so much handle forming with the Dremel(right now I am afixing the the handle material as is and shaping it to the tang afterwards).

What should I look for in the saw? I saw Dremel has one that also includes a sander and a place to attach the flexible shaft, but it is about 250. The local hardware store has a Ryobi 16" for under 100...but it is a Ryobi. Any suggestions as to which one I should get? Oh yea, I also found a scroll blade for a band saw, should I look at that as an option as well?

Thanks in advance.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 09-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm sure either will do fine.I have a delta variable speed that I got at Lowes,$119.00.Just buy good blades.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Skilled

IMHO I think bandsaw beats scroll saw.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Master

Alex is right. Get a band saw and saw hours of griefe and frustration. A metal cutting one will do for the handle material at least for few dozen knives Frank

Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have a 16" variable speed scroll saw of high quality that I would send to you for peanuts if I could get it to you. I find them near worthless for handle materials. As the other guys said, a band saw is far, far better.

I use a 14" Grizzly wood bandsaw with a 1/4" blade to shape the scales when I'm using natural materials. For synthetics, my metal cutting bandsaw is better but the stiffer, wider blades don't do curves very well. Before you spend $250 on a itty bitty Delta look at Grizzly and Harbor freight 14" wood saws or the little 6x6" metal saws. You'll be a lot better off ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 09-17-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Guru

You can also get a cheap bandsaw at the local pawnshop, I saw a couple today for $80, they were craftsman, so they weren't the worst deal around town.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 09-17-2006, 03:09 PM

When I was first starting to make knives I went out and bought a scroll saw at a garage sale. I still have it, it has virtually never been used. Now the metal cutting bandsaw is another story altogether. Probably the best buy in the shop in terms of labour saving and usage.
Steve

Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Skilled

So if I go with a 9" or 14" Grizzly that is labeled as wood is there a possibility that I could use it on metal blanks when I start making my own knives? I wanted the 9" for the small foot print but the 14" seems to be more "heavy duty".

Basiclly, what do I need to look for.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediOkie
So if I go with a 9" or 14" Grizzly that is labeled as wood is there a possibility that I could use it on metal blanks when I start making my own knives? I wanted the 9" for the small foot print but the 14" seems to be more "heavy duty".

Basiclly, what do I need to look for.
You won't be cutting metal on a wood bandsaw, but you can cut both on a metal cutting saw. It won't cut wood as well as a wood bandsaw, but if I could only have one there is NO QUESTION it would be a metal cutting bandsaw.

-Ben M.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Skilled

All good thoughts, but I'll add mine to the list. No question a bandsaw is a great tool in the knife shop. One for metal and one for wood is the best case. If you're not going to invest that much, a metal bandsaw and an inexpensive scroll saw will work. I use a small, simple scroll saw to cut all the handle material. It'll cut wood, bone, antler, micarta, horn, etc. with no problem. Use the wider blades and 15-18 teeth per inch. I've found this will cut tight curves very easily and to within less than 1/16" tolerance. Just some more ideas.
Rick
Old 09-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Skilled

Great information from everyone and I really appreciate it...a lot. Just one more, has anyone ever heard of Northern Tool company? They have a bandsaw that has pretty much the same specs as the Grizzly I am looking at but 100 cheaper. I know you get what you pay for but I am still just starting out and have already spent a lot more than I intended to on tools/materials/blades. This stuff adds up QUICK.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Michael E. Mill

Don't know your location but there is a HF in Oklahoma City and both OKC and Tulsa have Steve's Wholesale Tools where you can get good buys. Even the portable bandsaws work well. Mike
Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Guru

I think that Northern Tool sells pretty much the same things as Harbor Freight and Grizzly. I've never dealt with NT or Grizzly though, so I can't tell you anything else.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Skilled

Next question; Will a 4" x 36" belt sander work as a starter knife maker or should I wait and get the 2" x 72". The difference being several hundred dollars and a few months.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Skilled

Don't rush with buying equpment that is not good in a long term. Save for 2x72 and use files in a mean time. It's way slower but you'll aquire some good skills.

Tags
blade, knife, knives