MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-04-2005, 03:20 AM

"Smaug" by Larry Fuegen

Smaug, dragon in The Hobbit, is the theme for this Larry Fuegen creation. Smaug was commissioned by a collector who has since passed away. Larry kindly agreed to sell Smaug on behalf of the widow. It was at that point in the story where we happened along and discovered Smaug on Larry's table at the ABS show in Reno.

'My attractive wife' insisted on bringing Smaug home with us - all because I told her we weren't having any more babies or getting any more pets and if we did it would be over my dead body! So she buys these wierd animal knives instead.

This one is very cool. Its gold tongue wags back and forth and his face has lots of personality. Kudos to Larry - he's a major talent in the custom knife world!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Sweet! Your attractive wife has a discerning eye. I see she is prone to pick faces that only a mother could love. (duck). I think she might even like me is what I meant. When will you introduce her to us, and tell us her name?

Old 02-04-2005, 07:07 AM

There is no one who is more reknowned at these 'goblin' knives than Larry Fuegen. It's an acquired taste to be sure, but I sure appreciate them. The tongue wag adds the humor back in.

Congrats. Not only is Laura 'attractive' and tolerates knives--she COLLECTS them and has caviar taste! (I don't know if that is such a good thing... ummmmm, the caviar thing. )

That's a beautiful piece.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 02-04-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Skilled

Nothing screams "Fuegen!" quite like a Goblin folder. This is particulalry nice example of the genre.

My "attractive wife" certainly tolerates my knife habbit, but I would not put her in the category of an "enabler" much less "enthusiastic supporter and active participant." You are most fortunate.

Roger
Old 02-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Skilled

that is a GREAT example of the mixture of "ART" and "KNIVES", I'm so stuned by the detail I don't know where to start.

So I will say, OUTSTANDING PIECE !
Old 02-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Steel Addict

Great!

Laura was describing the piece to me and I really wanted to see it!
Awesome knife!...... Knife ????

thanx for posting it

Rik

Old 02-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Wow!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Skilled

Wow Buddy... This isn't the one I thought you guys got.. Count me in the LF fan club... I always get the impression that if he "dreams up" a knife, he has the chops to make it.. He covers the whole gamet in my book..I remember a simple, but elegant, push dagger that DDD was able to get from him last year in San Deigo that I still think about once in awhile. He carves in steel just expertly as his handle materials. No easy feat... VERY nice score for Laura...Best, Rich
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 PM

Fuegen Smaug Goblin Folder

Hello,
I collect goblin folders and have some by Fuegen, Schwarzer, Colter and Winkler. I was curious if you still had "Smaug" and if so, would by any chance be willing to sell him? It's a pretty cool and wicked looking piece. I can be e-mailed at bullywooly22@yahoo.com . Interested in other goblin folders as well.

Thank You,
Gary
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhawg22 View Post
Hello,
I collect goblin folders and have some by Fuegen, Schwarzer, Colter and Winkler. I was curious if you still had "Smaug" and if so, would by any chance be willing to sell him? It's a pretty cool and wicked looking piece. I can be e-mailed at bullywooly22@yahoo.com . Interested in other goblin folders as well.

Thank You,
Gary
Hi Gary, fat chance I asked Buddy several times in the past but so far he always declined. I sure hope for you that he will agree now Smaug is one of my alltime favourites!!

Marcel
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

Unbelievable work! Just had to post a reply.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Smile Goblins, Goblins

Hi Marcel,
No response concerning SMAUG. I did get Mike Lepore to come out of retirement to make me one of his fine Jim Schmidt looking Goblin folders. He is currently in the final stages of finishing it. I was looking at an old 1991 Knives Annual and saw a goblin folder which I thought was a Schmidt, but it turned out to be Mike Lepores. Mike was tutored by the late, great Jim Schmidt. Couldn't afford the Jim Schmidt Goblin that recently sold on KnifePurveyor, but I have acquired two more of Steve Schwarzer's Goblins. Marcel, let me know if you come across any wicked Goblins for sale.

All the Best,
Gary
[QUOTE=marcel54;455085]Hi Gary, fat chance I asked Buddy several times in the past but so far he always declined. I sure hope for you that he will agree now Smaug is one of my alltime favourites!!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 AM

Gary,
Just saw your post. Your collection sounds very cool and no doubt, SMAUG would make a nice addition but... we're just too attached to it after 8 years (my original post above is from 2/2005). Besides, I'm sure Marcel would track me down and beat my butt if we sold it to anyone else.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Steel Addict

[quote=bullhawg22;457106]Hi Marcel,
No response concerning SMAUG. I did get Mike Lepore to come out of retirement to make me one of his fine Jim Schmidt looking Goblin folders. He is currently in the final stages of finishing it. I was looking at an old 1991 Knives Annual and saw a goblin folder which I thought was a Schmidt, but it turned out to be Mike Lepores. Mike was tutored by the late, great Jim Schmidt. Couldn't afford the Jim Schmidt Goblin that recently sold on KnifePurveyor, but I have acquired two more of Steve Schwarzer's Goblins. Marcel, let me know if you come across any wicked Goblins for sale.

All the Best,
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel54 View Post
Hi Gary, fat chance I asked Buddy several times in the past but so far he always declined. I sure hope for you that he will agree now Smaug is one of my alltime favourites!!
Gary, email sent.

Marcel
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Thomason View Post
Gary,
Just saw your post. Your collection sounds very cool and no doubt, SMAUG would make a nice addition but... we're just too attached to it after 8 years (my original post above is from 2/2005). Besides, I'm sure Marcel would track me down and beat my butt if we sold it to anyone else.
Buddy, you #### right I would

Marcel

Tags
550, folder, for sale, knife, knives, make, post