MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 05-05-2002, 08:53 AM
mrsjoan

knife shop layout

John is getting a new knife shop. It is a 30 x 30 steel building. He is planning to take 1/3 of the shop and divide into apx. 3 10 x 10 rooms to divide the "clean" work up in. On each end of the main room will be 2 large rolll up doors for air to circulate--we are not putting in a/c. There will also be a regular walk-in door on the other side for access from my new patio.

If this were you're dream shop (w/o ac) how would you lay it out? We are just looking for ideas since this is a one time deal I'm giving him.

Any ideas guys?
Old 05-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Andrew McLurkin

I would probably go for two rooms rather then three. One for grinders, buffers, blast cabinet and such and the other for tools that don't produce dust and grit (ie. drill, mill, finishing supplies). I would want to leave room for larger pieces of equipment that will probably come along. In my shop I spent time planning outlets, bench heights, and lighting. With a 30x30 shop John will be set. Keep us updated.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:40 PM
tommy mcnabb

John's new shop

Joan

I think the patio is a great idea Great place for John's Forge and Blacksmith shhop
Tommy
Old 05-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Andrew McLurkin

Re: John's new shop

Tommy, I think the patio is reserved for John's sun bathing. Now there's a sight.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Bob Warner

I am not part of the NCCKG but will offer my 2 cents.

My shop is only 20X20 with a porch for the hot shop. I have the building divided into a dirty room and a clean room. I think a middle room would be an advantage. The dirt gets into my clean room a lot more than I would like. I get dirt on paperwork as well as everything else.

If it were me, I would have the dirty room for grinding, sandblasting, etc....

I would have the middle room for semi dirty tasks like the drill presses, lathe, milling machine, band saw, etc.....

The clean room would be a desk and storage for hand tools and other stuff for designing knives, assembling knives, epoxy, annodizing, acid etching, logo etching, etc......

The porch could be for the hot work, the forge and other hot stuff, arc welder, torches, hydraulic press, etc....

See my shop tour on my web site for possible ideas. Let us know what you decide.

Old 05-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Andrew McLurkin

Thanks for posting Bob. I'm sure that your shop pictures will give John (and others) fuel for thought. Nice to get a look at your work! Post as often as you'd like.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:58 PM
mrsjoan

Hey all of you guys,
Thanks for the ideas. John is really excited about eventually gaining control back of his shop. He delayed one day in working on the inside layout and I took it over to put a lot of our stuff from our house in it so I could get the house remodeling done. And of course the most important room---my computer room is now up and running. As soon as I add those little personal touchers I will send yall' pics. I am so thrilled John got his shop so I could do this with less clutter in the house.

We will be checking back often to check out all links and advice on shop lay out.

Thanks again
Joan

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knives