MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Question How to get tang handle to be polished

Im working on a tang knife. Micarta hangle worked my way up from 220,400,600,800,1000 how do i get the metal handle material mirror andnot burn the micarta. I tried a green roush did work to well, im stuck. I need some help. The blade is mirror polished too
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Admittedly, I'm not a big believer in mirror finishes on knives. They don't last. Not all handle material will take a high gloss finish and end up looking like polished stone. Probably most won't. You could try sanding the micarta scales out to 2000 grit and buff with a fine rouge but I doubt that you will ever get that deep of a shine on it. Even if you did you might end up with a handle that will be slick in wet hands. Unless I was making something that was strictly an art knife, one that would spend it's existence in a display case, I would pay much more attention to function that a bright finish.

Doug

Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Some metals don't polish well - notably D2.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Skilled

Slip23us...First thing is "Why the mirror finish"?? I have to agree with Doug on this. Most of the knifemakers on this forum would advise against a mirror finish. A mirror finish is a lot of work to achieve, and it will almost certainly be damaged the first time the knife is put to use. However, if the knife is only intended to be a showpiece...then it's only a matter of how much work do you want to put into it.
As far as polishing the tang goes....the first thing is that it should have been done prior to putting on the handle....but since you are where you're at...you basically have two options. The first option is to continue working as you have to achieve the mirror finish...or work the finish out by hand to avoid damaging the handle. This is going to be a highly work-intensive effort...but it will get you there.
The second option..and in my view the better option...is to "degrade" the mirror finish on the rest of the blade to match the finish on the tang. Using the second option is much easier to do, and will yield a much more serviceable knife...assuming the knife is intended to be actually used as a knife.
Part of being a knifemaker is to know and understand how the knife is to be used, and to assure that all aspects of the knife are suitable for it's intended use and function.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM

I know no more mirror finshes, its alot of work, Im going to keep doing satin finishes. So ill have to get some more sandpaper from 1000 to 2000 and pink rouge and a cloth to wipe away rouge. One more question which website is the best for a beginner like me for getting tips.. So far I like this site but theres others like bladefourms and knifeforms... plus thank you to Trugrit in onatrio Ca for all your help ,,,, thanks for the tips guys
Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't think that there is such a thing as too much information. You will have personality clashes on all of them. I know one where a very accomplished and skilled master metal worker was banned due to his attitude with other people on the site. Not all moderators are respected as much as others. There are conflicts with strongly held opinions on all the sites. You just have to learn to take what you can use and ignore the rest.

Doug

Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Personally, this is my favorite forum, with Knifedogs being a close second. I'm also a moderator on knifeforums. A large number of serious knifemakers have stopped going to/participating on Bladeforums due to the personal attacks that occur there, and just the general "big head" attitude that a lot of folks there seem to have. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was what I considered a vicious attack on Ed Fowler... whether you agree or disagree with what he does and how he does it is irrelevant, he's given a lot, for a long time to the knife world.....and the total disrespect/degradation shown to him on that forum was simply wrong and uncalled for.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Skilled

Other forums

I`ve been a member here since Alex started the original forum.Ed I whole heartedly agree with you about bladeforum and the crap about Ed Fowler. Robert

Tags
art knife, blade, handle, knife, knives, material, polish, scales, stone, tang, tips