MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Skilled

Question guard finish on JS knives-?

Dear Ed, As I 'm making my 5- JS test knives, I have finished them to 600 grit scratch finish parallel to the blade. I sanded the face of the guards to 600 and installed them, now to lightly clean them up, What is a good way to finish the guard face and make all the scratch finishes work together? I made small clean solder joints with a tight fit, cleaned off all excess solder, just want to touch everything up! What shape or type of tool do you use to finish that area up with? Right now, I'm using a brass flat with a 45 degree end with 600 paper wrapped over. Open to ideas. Thanks Ed! ...... Jon

Old 05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
pictures

Jon
Do you have any pics to post. Would love to see your knives.

Thanks
Jim
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Skilled

Thanks Jim,, I'd like to see 'um ----- "DONE TOO!" When I get them done, I'll post some pix. Gotta get this "nit-picky" finish work done first! ....Jon

"What are you holding in your "avatar" picture?"

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Jon,

I really don't have any good advice for you on this one. Before I install a guard is it completely finished on the face, and once installed I don't tough it again. I've not tried to work on the face of an installed guard for many years. The difficulty of finishing a guard face out, once it's on a blade, is the primary reason that I press fit all my guards, and do not use solder.

Normally I fit my guards, take them back off, and then finish the faces with 1200 grit, then do the final install.

For JS testing what you have to remember is that the finishes must be "smooth and EVEN".....most of the time if you try to finish out a guard face after it's installed on a blade, you'll get a "halo" right around the blade that doesn't look like the rest of the finish.

Are you testing this year?

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ed,, Yes, I also had the guard pressed on, but was "jittery" that the fit between blade and guard was not good enough to pass the test, so I opted to solder after polishing. I made probably the best fit ever blade to guard on one knife, barely any "light-crack" at all, got nervous and soldered it. I just don't know how "good" is good enough to pass the JS! Yes, I plan to test at this "Blade" in June..... the up-side, we will finally get to meet! ... Jon

Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
pics

Jon
Good luck with the JS knives and look forward to seeing them in future.

Jim
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Skilled

Dear Ed, MS Steve Culver told me a few weeks ago, that your JS test knives should show everything you are capable of making, not just one style of knife. One style I like to think I make pretty good is the "split guard full tang" style, which does require soldering the guard, IMO. So I'm making one of those. Every time I have come up against something that looks imposable, I find a way to make it happen. I guess I'll find a way to make my soldered guards look good enough to pass. I've been looking at other JS test knives in the magazines and on-line, some makers stick to only one style and just change the sizes, one I saw they were all the same size- same style! I believe my knives will pass, see you in Atlanta! .. Jon

Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Jon!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was being discouraging. Honestly, I was a little surprised when you said that you were testing this year, and your post gave me the impression that your knives were not done yet....which is something that always worries me.
The reason I say that is because I always encourage folks to get their knives done as soon as possible, and get them to as many MS for review as possible. That way IF the MS who look at them find any issues, there is time to either fix them, or build another knife or two. Right now we're only 4 weeks away from the Blade Show...thats cutting it awfully close.

I just hate to see anyone spend all the time, money, and effort getting to Atlanta, without giving themselves the best possible chance to successfully pass.

I'm hoping that I'm way off base here, and that you've got it all in hand.

Look forward to meeting you face to face in Atlanta!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Skilled

No offense taken Ed, thanks for your concern!!! Honestly, I'm concerned too!! With the death of my daughter, everything has been thrown into a whirlwind, I find the only thing that helps me keep my sanity is the knife building. So I have thrown myself totally into it, and the JS test is just a way of keeping my mind busy, and I seem to work better under pressure.
To make matters just that much more sensitive, last Thursday my wife's mother past away, she was 90 and suffering from diabetes, so it was expected. Now we can relax "a little". The Blade show will be our "vacation" from all these events during this last year. Win, loose or draw, we gotta get outta here! Look forward to meeting you Ed! ...... Jon

Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Master

Hi Jon,

Sorry if you're already aware of it, but Ed has a really helpful article on his website about the presentation part of the JS test. He brings up many points that I just don't 'see' by looking at pictures.

Best of luck and safe travels down to Atlanta, Craig
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Skilled

Thanks Guys for the PM's on how to fix my little problem, I knew someone had run on to it before and had a fix for it! ---Jon

Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Skilled

Jon

Just trying to help make sure you have all bases covered -- have you contacted Dan Cassidy to let him know that you are testing? If not, you need to do it soon. I do not remember the exact daye, but I am sure it is in the next week or 2.

Brian

Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Skilled

Thanks Brian,, I have contacted him, and all is set up! FYI..... I love your JS knives, they are my inspiration!! Jon

Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Steel Addict

Jon, how are your guards coming out?

Bill

Tags
blade, brass, guard, knife, knives, solder