MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Guru

karambit?

hey guys so today I plan on profiling some knives for the next batch of heat treating. I have been playing around of a idea of doing a karambit style knife in my head....have any of you ever tried this? the part I see myself having trouble with is grinding the bevels because it is so curved. the only wasy I see of doing it on a kmg grinder is to use the edge of either the platen or wheel to put in the bevels I don't think it would work using the face of the platen because of the curve. I have never done a blade with a curve like that. I guess if the belt and the platen or wheel was thinner than 2 inches might make it a bit easier. I tried looking for videos but all I found is people putting in the bevels with a angle grinder...I have only tried that once and it came out horrible...trying to get some info on this before I jump in..any ideas would really help thanks guys
Old 08-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Skilled

try grinding one out of wood first to see what issues youll run into.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Guru

good call damon I wouldn't of thought of that I probilly would have just messed up a bunch of HTed steel thanks
Old 08-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Skilled

sometimes simple solutions are just staring at us like we are idiots waiting for us to notice them. ive learned a lot from such "DUUUUHH" moments. (often after the fact) :-/

one of my buddies here has 2 really nice wooden bowies which he used to practice before wasting $200 worth of Damascus.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:36 PM
Skilled

I have another friend who has asked about one of these, and I'm looking at making him one for christmss, so ill be jumping into this pool myself later. haven't decided if ill do flat or hollow grind yet.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:59 AM

Keep the inside curve "shallow" based on the dia. of your contact wheel with your first attempts. If you get the least sloppy or distracted this style blade grind can be a belt and wheel killer.....not to mention what "grab and slap" damage to hands and other nearby objects.

Personally don't care for the design - limited practical uses - so I only make them for my preferred clients/customers and it takes a lot of begging.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Guru

damon...your right with that I have had more duhhhh monents than I think I will admit to

crex what do you mean by "keep the shallow on the dia" ? sorry I have 2 ideas of what you ment by that not sure....this may be another duh moment
Old 08-17-2016, 05:00 AM

Doubt I can explain it any better. Grind your first proto type out of wood and pay attention to where the most "drag" from belt/wheel is felt while working the inside curve. That's were you are most likely to have the steel edge grab or cut into the belt/wheel - especially at belt joints. It's a frog's hair difference from final edge bevel to catastrophy if you don't stay absolutely focused.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
angle, bee, belt, blade, chris, damascus, edge, flat, grind, grinder, grinding, heat, hollow grind, karambit, knife, knives, make, making, profiling, simple, solutions, steel, wood