MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Guru

wierd day

It started with an alligator-snapping turtle hanging out on the front porch. I'm guessing he was looking for wetlands since the creek out back is drying up now. I'd hate for one of the kids to get a finger near this guy! Alligator snappers are pretty cool looking they have big ridges down the back and tail and can easily snap small branches in two! We took him down to the main creek and let him go.

Then, about 2pm when it's around 100* out we have deer walking around the back yard. Pretty unusual for around here to see them out like that in the heat.

Then, to top it off....I'm sitting on the computer yesterday evening and my oldest son busts into the office and says "Daddy, there's some animals that look like rhinos playing in your garden." I say "you mean the neighbor's cows?". "No Daddy, they look like rhinos...one big one, one small one." he replies.

So, I grab a baseball and go outside expecting to shoo some steer out of the field before they step on my septic sprayheads...again.

I was mistaken...there were no cattle. Instead, I see some hairy backs disappearing into the ravine after ravaging my pumpkin patch and stripping the tomato and jalepeno bushes. I went inside and grabbed my camera and stalked up the edge of the teeline and spooked these out of the brush:

The larger was about 160-170 lbs. Good freezer size!

Well, they stunk way too bad to jump on their backs and wrestle them to the ground and choke them out so I settled for a .223 and a knife.

Stupid hog actually charged me despite acres of pasture behind him. I guess boars will protect a young one just as quick as a sow. A .223 is less than optimal for hogs but still works well enough from 10 feet away. Hogs make a gawd awful noise when stuck with a 10" bladed Viking seax. (see I worked *knives* into this whole story!)

I also learned that a Springer Spaniel actually makes a decent hog dog. He cornered the smaller boar with only minor scrapes and I managed to get a lasso on it. My wife comes back around midnight from horseback lessons over in Rockdale and comes inside..."Honey, you'll never guess what just ran across the driveway." It seems a chainlink dog kennel isn't quite hog proof. We at least have the one in the freezer for the next knifemaker weekend! (now I even worked knifemaking into the story!)

Feral hogs have much more meat than feral chickens...or cats for that matter. I wonder what will come crawing out of the woods today!

Last edited by Don Halter; 08-09-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Interesting story, Don. Thanks. You must live in an interesting place.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

You didn't eat the turtle?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Guru

Hah...no. It almost ate me, though. I was a liuttle suprised how far around the side of it's shell it could reach!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

man, what a day.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

When I was a kid, some of the local guys were seining for minnows in the creek across the road from my house. The caught a huge snapper and one was holding it up by it's back feet so they could take a picture. The turtle took a bite out of the toe of the waders and almost managed to get the guy's big toe. He looked down at the turtle and said, "Well, at least I get the last laugh when I turn you into a pot of soup tonight!"

Tags
blade, knife, knives