MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:33 PM
Steel Addict

Critique on everything so far

I think for my first 6 knives these look ok. I am looking for critique on what can be done better with these next time. They do not have a high level of finish on them because they have all been used a lot and have gotten scratches and been the subjects of experiments with different belts. I am curious about better handle design as well as blade designs.
The knives are labeled with 1 being the first knife I made and 6 being the most recent.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxh...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 01-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

You might try a coke bottle shape on some of your handles. Wouldn't hurt to expand your horizons by using other designs than full tang, like a stick tang or stub tang design.

As for blade design, if the shapes you have work for you then that's what matters. The next step for your blades would be something other than full flat grinds. Try a sabre grind or even a hollow grind if you can manage it .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Steel Addict

Most of those knives were originally saber grinds. I just was either chasing plunges or accidently ground past the plunge. On the most recent I had it looking pretty good and on my 220 grit belt I slipped past the top of the plunge line pretty badly. I tried to correct it but I wasnt able so I turned it into a flat grind. My next couple knives that I have profiled will be saber grinds so long as everything goes as planned. I will try the coke bottle shape on the handles as well.

Tags
bee, belt, belts, blade, blades, design, file, finish, first knife, flat, flat grind, full tang, handle, handles, hollow grind, knife, knives, made, stick tang, tang