MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:55 AM

thickness behind the edge question

Hi Guys, I am currently attempting to make a sort of Bob Loveless type knife, the classic one that he is probably best known for.
I cannot find the spec of the thickness the edge should be before you put the cutting edge on.
Even just generally I am never sure what the edge should be. I have been told that a working knife should be around 0.020" to 0.030" and I have been told 0.010" or even thinner.
To me 0.010" is thin for a working knife.
Can you folks share some personal experience? I have made some carving knives but never a real working knife for the field so some advice from guys that have made those will be very welcome.
the steel is A2 and also CM154.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2023, 04:24 PM
Master

In the case of a drop point, hunter the .015"-.03" range will yield a field usable blade to cover a w##e range of uses well. I've done them from .012"-.020" as the typical goal yet some have been a bit thinner.

A symmetrical cutting edge bevel in the 15-19 degrees range will yield a sharp blade for the usual tasks. A2 and CM 154 is a good choice. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:34 AM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your tips. I will let you know how it goes. I sort of finished grinding one blade but I messed up the grind a bit on the front curve of the blade so I had to grind a couple of mm off to get r## of that. So of course, the whole shape and appearance has changed but I figure I will be okay with sacrificing it to experience. Once the HT is done I will be less than gentle with it and find out first hand how much punishment it can take without going completely cavemen on it.
Thanks again.

Mike
Old 04-06-2023, 04:00 PM
Master

A good heat treat is a big factor. Knives are fairly tolerable of varying specs even when abused so you have some latitude to work with. Being as precise as possible does yield a higher quality product for users when the whole package is cons##ered.

My current batch of knives the edge bevel varies between them and that is expected for handmade products.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:37 PM

Thanks Mike, you have given me some good information. Much appreciated.

Mike

Tags
advice, bee, bevel, blade, bob loveless, ca, carving, classic, cutting, edge, heat treat, hunter, knife, knives, loveless, made, make, question, sharp, steel, thickness, thin, tips