MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

did I just ruin a blade?

Howdy,

I rebuilt a Spanish CETME bayonet for a buddy to take to Iraq. Removed the old handle, reversed the handguard so that it protects the fingers, welded a piece of all thread to the end, made an endcap, made new handles out of teak, then painted the blade. I took pics but left the memory card at home, here is a picture of a simillar knife I did for my cousin last October.

I was in a hurry this past week because last weekend I felt horrible, got real dehydrated and it messed me up for a few days and I didn't work on the knife at all. He ships out Monday, so last night I worked till the wee hours finishing it.

I bead blasted the blade and handguard and the end cap and painted them black.

I noticed that the paint was rubbing off on the sheath, so I thought that if I baked the paint on it might harden up a bit and not wear off as easily. This seemed an excellent idea at the time (about 1AM)

So I put on another coat and put the whole knife in the kitchen oven at 170 degrees F (the lowest the oven would go) and baked it for about 4 hours.

Worked wonderfully, as the paint now does not rub off and seems much more durable.

BUT

Now that I've already shipped it out I'm wondering if I messed up the heat treating on the blade by doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Steel Addict

Don't worry, 170 deg F isn't enough to temper the blade. It's still ok.

Jamie

jamie@polarbearforge.com
Old 07-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Drunkenduck
A quick comment on bayonets, sharp bayonets are a violation of the Geneva Accords. (A sharp knife is ok, but not a sharp bayonet, go figure) So, first I'd make sure that the blade of the bayonet is made of a steel that will hold an edge, second I'd replace the hand guard so that there was no way it could be mountable on the end of a rifle. That way he would have a tool that would hold an edge and he couldn't be accused of being a war criminal if he were caught with it. I know that that sounds like a rediculous point considering who we are up against over there, but why give them more ammunition to use against us.

Doug Lester
Old 07-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast

Whew. Glad to hear it's alright.

The CETME bayonet that I rebuilt for my cousin was insanely sharp when I bought it. This one was insanely dull, and took forever to sharpen the belly and tip, and I'm still not happy about the sharpness at the tip, although the rest of the knife is very sharp.

The handguard with the ring that fits over the barrel is still on the knife, but the attaching point at the rear was removed, so it'll no longer function as a bayonet.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:16 PM

Doug,

I'm having a hard time with your assertion that a sharpened bayonet is a violation of the Geneva convention.

I've just read the histories of both the m-7 and m-9 bayonets (both used on the m-16 family of rifles) and both are factory sharpened. I carried the M-9 into combat and we were required to keep a good edge on it.

I've included this picture which clearly indicates an obvious cutting edge in the design. It is basically a bowie with mounting hardware.

I'll dig around in the actual accords to see what the exact wording is, but at this point, I think your information is incorrect.

M-9 bayonet:

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Steel Addict

I could well be wrong, I've been wrong before. After all I've been married three times and trusted a boss that was messing me over. It's just what I picked up in reading, heavn knows that writers and journalists frequently get things wrong.

Doug Lester
Old 07-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkenduck
A quick comment on bayonets, sharp bayonets are a violation of the Geneva Accords. (A sharp knife is ok, but not a sharp bayonet, go figure) So, first I'd make sure that the blade of the bayonet is made of a steel that will hold an edge, second I'd replace the hand guard so that there was no way it could be mountable on the end of a rifle. That way he would have a tool that would hold an edge and he couldn't be accused of being a war criminal if he were caught with it. I know that that sounds like a rediculous point considering who we are up against over there, but why give them more ammunition to use against us.

Doug Lester
I just did a quick review of the Geneva Convention and I could find no mention of Bayonets, knives, or any edged weapon.

You can find the full text of all Geneva Conventions and treaties at this site http://www.genevaconventions.org/

Old 07-15-2006, 01:25 PM

Well, now that we have that straightened out, let's talk about a sort of bayonet KITH! We could use mounting hardware salvaged from old M-7s (common enough at a surplus store) and send some of those fine troops over there a bayonet worth having!

Just brainstorming here. In any case, it sounds like a challenge.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Steel Addict

Mike, thanks for the link.

Doug Lester
Old 07-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

Found the memory card, here's pics, if anyone is interested:

http://gallery.gandalf23.com/jamsknife

USPS was late in delivering the package, so he didn't get it before he deployed But, on the plus side, now I have time (till he gets a mailing address over there) to do some more finishing on the metal parts and to get the tip as sharp as I'd like.

Andy, neat idea! I have a couple of M7s lying around someplace, wonder why I didn't think of that myself?

Tags
blade, knife, knives