MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Master

Looking for a maker...

...that can make me a classic southwest style bowie with a wootz blade. Any suggestions? I am conversing with Ric Furrer, but am not sure he would want to work in a classic style, so I thought I would look for other alternatives. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Keith - Gib and I would be interested - I'm sure we can get the wootz to work with, but I'm curious EXACTLY what YOU mean by a classic "Southwest" Bowie. This is one of those seemingly new collector terms that has only recently popped up - in fact not too long ago it seems that I saw some discussion on it in other post and no one exactly pinned it down IIRC. :confused:
A picture of course is worth a thousand words...

Thanks in advance....

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 09-04-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Master

The southwest style bowie has a wider blade with a short clip. The clip sometimes has a very small amount of upsweep to it.

Here is a picture of a Jerry Fisk southwest style bowie.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Keith - I looked up that post about SW Bowies:

Quote:
Very nice Bowie Terry, I have studied Bowies and made them for over 40 years some where its slipped past me to make the styling a regional, thing. what about your knife makes it a southwestern, apposed to northwestern, southeastern, northeastern, or just plain American I'm confused . help get me to naming my bowies styles properly, sorry to show my ignorance. - Ron "Bowie" Claiborne
Quote:
Ron, That's a darn good question. I don't know if there's any real validity to the regional thing or not. I tried to call Bill Moran today to get his input on this, but he was not around. Then I tried to call B.R. Hughes and struck out again. So I called Jerry Fisk to get his take on it.
Jerry's not certain where or by whom the term was coined, but he said that the Southwest or Southwestern style in his opinion is a variation on an old Mexican style of Bowie.
What I can tell you is what the primary defining characteristic is with respect to the so-called Southwestern style. It's the upward sweep of the spine as it approaches the clip, as opposed to a straight line from ricasso to clip. There are no hard, fast rules regarding the amount of sweep, or even where the sweep begins to the best of my knowledge.
Also, the edge will often follow this sweep. In other words, there's no place where the edge is a straight line. - Terry Primos
Anyway here are three originals the first which fits Terry's description to a T - the other two fit within you're parameters. The middle one is BIG - 17 1/2" overall with a 1/2" thick blade - weight 2 1/2 lbs! The third one is one that has always rung my chimes and it would be eas to add a curve to that spine line - popcorn stag handle.

So with all of that do you mean "classical" in the ABS sense, since that's where the term SW Bowie seems to have derived from or classical in the traditional/original sense? Either way this would be a fun project - umm with a sheath????????

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 09-04-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Guru

Hi Kieth,
I have been making that style knife for a long time and found it to be one of the best sellers. I have photos of three on my site www.cactusforge.com the numbers are
BK002-BK006-BK014.
Chuck and I would be very interested in this project.
Gib

Old 09-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Master

Chuck, I guess I am looking for a knife something like the first one of the three in your post. I prefer the look of BK002 on Gib's site.

Chuck, Gib, I will contact you to discuss this in the next few days.

Oh, by the way, if I was going to go with a knife made by you guys then of course it would have to have an appropriate sheath made by you, Chuck.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Howdy Keith - sounds good and looking forward to working with you again. I can do scale drawings in order to get it nailed down.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 09-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Master

Chuck's observation about the "no straight lines" design trait of a "south Western" is very astute. I also identify that style as a Mexican style, I get the idea from what is sold on E-bay, etc., that there are tons of these around as cheap tourist junk, but it is a traditional style, many old ones were fine quality and, again this is my impression, given as presentation gifts, etc., kinda like dress pieces for the Grand Patrone in his best festival outfit. The no straight lines is something we struggle to overcome on our way to forging that perfect ABS style blade, and unfortuantely, I think we over look a lot of fine forging in the process. A preformed billet with the bevels forged in will assume this shape as a out come of the process. and it works very well as a cutting tool also. It is a different aesthetic, but more process based. just my opinion mind you.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Montgomery
...that can make me a classic southwest style bowie with a wootz blade. Any suggestions? I am conversing with Ric Furrer, but am not sure he would want to work in a classic style, so I thought I would look for other alternatives. Thanks.
if rick wont i,d love to
harley

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives