MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Hall of Famer

That sounds like a pretty good test for a good sturdy knife to meet tactical needs. How did the knife cut afterwards? I know that some people might say not to let the good be the enemy of the best but I think what we are looking at here is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Doug

Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 AM

that's just it. I want to use the best materials possible, but i haven't found a real "flaw" with what I have ...YET, of course. the blade cut well afterwards, so like you said... "if it aint broke" I want to use the best material I can, but I can't argue with the results I've gotten, and I've tried almost every test that anyone proposed in every magazine or article I've read (sometimes gritting my teeth) and the blade is still going strong. the only problem I have is the "stigma" of using such a plain "old" steel, when people are comparing what they read about these "better" steels. my only arguement is that mine do what theirs do.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Don't fall for the hype of the latest greatest wondersteel. Every steel has advantages and they're accompanied by disadvantages. I purchased a folder with a S30V blade. The salesman said that I would need a diamond hone to sharpen it with unless I desided to use his solution. That was to drop it in a mailer with a $10 cheque and send it back to the factory for resharpening, a service that all manufacturers do not offer. Now immagine how long that would take from the Sandpile.

Another advantage of the older steels is cost. Not a small consideration to the average ground pounding grunt who has to send a big portion of his paycheck back home to the wife and kids. That S30V blade knife cost me $140, as I remember, and I can't keep from loosing it any better than my carry knife with a 154CM blade that ran me about
$45. Though I do admit that I haven't lost a knife since I stopped using the pocket clip. I still have the expensive knife but it sits in my bed side table.

Doug

Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Don't fall for the hype of the latest greatest wondersteel. Every steel has advantages and they're accompanied by disadvantages. I purchased a folder with a S30V blade. The salesman said that I would need a diamond hone to sharpen it with unless I desided to use his solution. That was to drop it in a mailer with a $10 cheque and send it back to the factory for resharpening, a service that all manufacturers do not offer. Now immagine how long that would take from the Sandpile.

Another advantage of the older steels is cost. Not a small consideration to the average ground pounding grunt who has to send a big portion of his paycheck back home to the wife and kids. That S30V blade knife cost me $140, as I remember, and I can't keep from loosing it any better than my carry knife with a 154CM blade that ran me about
$45. Though I do admit that I haven't lost a knife since I stopped using the pocket clip. I still have the expensive knife but it sits in my bed side table.

Doug

Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Steel Addict

great thread guys! i too am courious about stainless steels and the quality of them. i use 1095 now, and have had complaints about it rusting up. i know to use a little oil on them, but i guess not all my customers are willing to maintain their knives. so at first i though, if they arent going to maintain it, their loss. then i got to thinking about using some stainless to avoid the whole situation. its a small neck knife anyway, so cost isnt going to be greatly affected.

i heard some good things about 154CM and am looking to get a piece to experiment with.

what are your guys thoughts on that type of steel? advantage and disadvantage?

Captain

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 11-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Hall of Famer

I carry a pocket knife with a blade made from 154cm and it holds a edge reasonably well and and sharpens easily on oil stones to a hair shaving edge. Like all stainless steels it is more brittle than carbon steels. I was reminded of that when I tried to unstick a painted shut window with it (wrong tool for the wrong job) but it wasn't hard to grind a new point on the blade so it works well.

Doug

Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Take a look at the specs for M390 or S35VN. Both are Super stainless. It is true they can be hard to sharpen but you can get small diamond stones which will sharpen them fairly easily.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Tim, edge retention is only part of the picture. It's great that it will cut forever but when the time comes and you're in an isolated situation and you discover that you've lost your diamond hone or forgot to pack it being able to sharpen a blade on a piece of flat stone or broken crockery does have it's merits. Also that super edge retention is going to be accompanied by super hardness which comes along with a loss of toughness and strength. These super steels generally won't stand up to the hard use that a simpler tool or spring steel will. There are situations where it is much better to have a blade that can take a beating even if it has to sharpened more often. I can sharpen a dull blade. I can't fix a broken one.

Doug

Tags
52100, antler, art, blade, diamond, digital, first post, folder, folding knife, forge, forged, forging, hammer, heat treat, knife, knife making, knives, neck knife, pocket knife, post, stainless steel, stone, supply, tactical