MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

View Poll Results: Are you a blue collar or white collar worker?
White collar 55 36.91%
Blue collar 94 63.09%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 AM
Skilled

whats your day job?

hey guys, i was reading an interesting thread on the aussie knife forums about how many knife makers/colectors are white collar vs blue collar, it was interesting to see what everyone does for a 9 to 5.
im sure it has prob been asked before but im asking now.

What do you do when your not making knives, and in the case of full timers what did you do. also im taking a blue collar white collar poll, there are of course some jobs that dont fit neatly in to either but im sure you can figure it out. for example a rifleman wouldnt be either but i would say blue because its a physical job.

Also, do you carry a knife at work??

brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire

Last edited by Brett Holmes; 10-17-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 AM
Skilled

I'll kick it off with one vote for white collar.
Im a small aircraft pilot, hopeing to make it large aircraft one day.

in the plane we carry 2 knives because we drop parachutes and may need a knife if someone gets tangled, also i sometimes carry a SAK in my pocket
brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 10-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Skilled

Blue collar here. Oilfield trash and dam proud of it. I'm a construction foreman in the patch. We install pipelines and facilities for natural gas processing. It has its benifits.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Skilled

Blue collar as well full time carpenter part time hospital maint. And yes always cary a knife and use it daily.
Bob
Old 10-17-2006, 06:16 AM

Blue for me...

I have always ALSO worked with my hands.

I spend my days fixing and maintaining boats and rowing shells for a rowing organization, and spend hours every day on the river coaching. Mostly high-school youth.

I'm lucky.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 10-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Living Legend

Technically I'm blue collar as I'm union for the phone company, but I spend my days working through a computer to test and trouble shoot corporate level phones and digital services.

Jim

Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I have always ALSO worked with my hands.

I spend my days fixing and maintaining boats and rowing shells for a rowing organization, and spend hours every day on the river coaching. Mostly high-school youth.

I'm lucky.

Coop
Wha...??!! I thought you were purely a photo-bug Coop, good for you! I often wondered if a full timer could make a good living taking pictures of knives. I investigated into it once, I believe it took a couple of hours, and I figured out I'd make more money being one of Dwayne's guys (and #### proud of it!).

I didn't realize you were into something else, pretty cool to!

I don't know if woodworking is blue or white, but I'll opt for blue, cause I sure come home all dusty every evening

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I get to wear blue, but technically I guess I'm white collar as I'm salaried. I work at a rather infamous plastics plant on the Houston Ship Channel.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Master

Well,

I don't have a day job so to speak... never have been formaly employed.... But I do odd jobs, mostly hands on work. I spent the summer doing construction, but I've put in a lot of desk time as a computer tech. So I'm about 60/40 (ugly striped shirt? :P )

My carreer of choice, I'm going to take training,and aply for in the next year, is law enforcement. I'm not sure where that falls in.....

I picked blue.....

G.

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Steel Addict

I guess I am in between. I am a geologist and have spent most of my life working outdoors. Some of it has been as a professional, but before that I was oilfield trash, working as a roughneck, driller, then as a mud engineer and finally as a geologist.

My job now is mostly office work, but I still try to keep doing manual things-like knife making-to keep my head together.

Edited to add:

I carry a small utility knife I made as EDC-modified Sharpfinger style in S30V with Desert Ironwood scales. I am too cheap to buy other people's customs. I only carry ones I have made.

Steve Hayden steve4663@gmail.com
Aztec, NM

Last edited by shgeo; 10-17-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Guru

I would be a solid white collar (although I try and not wear collars). I went to college for way to many years, and am now stuck in a cube small enough that it is considered in-humane if given to a prisoner.

Anyway, I design ASICs for a living. On my person now I have 4 knives, counting the leatherman (nothing over 4" in length by corporate rules).

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 10-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

I voted blue because I'm not management. I'm a Quality Auditor/Inspector for a company that manufactures circuit boards for all kinds of applications. I inspect the parts coming in to insure they are correct, I audit the processes and systems to make sure everybody is doing their job, and I perform final audits on the parts before they go out the door. We also do some complete turnkey units for customers.

Knives...I usually have a Spyderco Salsa clipped to my pocket and a Spyderco Ladybug on my keyring. During the winter months I have another Ladybug sized knife attached to my Mini-mag flashlight in my jacket pocket.

In His Service,
Reid Allen
Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Clive's Knives

Blue

Unless I 'go out' my main shirt is a Tshirt now,being retired.But in the past mainly bushman,soldier,rigger,trucky so I put down Blue.
Cheers,Clive.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Skilled

I lead a double life. I go to work every day in silk ties and wool suits but if you look close you'll see calouses & I'm usually hiding some bandaged wounds. Once in a while I might walk with a slight limp for a few days, and there's usually something in my trunk I wouldn't want my coworkers to see. There've been times when people in the office keep asking "Do you smell something burning?" I just play dumb.

-Ben M.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Guru

White. I work as a consultant in radiation safety and litigation support for claims involving radiation. I'm hoping to get more into the radioactive waste brokering and plan management for customers. I'm hoping to eventually get back into radiobiology research...if the govt decides to actually start funding it again!

I don't typically carry a knife at work unless I'm in the field somewhere in BFE taking measurements.

P.S. I typically wear shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt to work, though.

Tags
back, bee, blade, brand, custom, damascus, fixed blade, folding knife, forging, hammer, how to, hunting knife, iron, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, kydex, military, pocket, randall, sheath, spyderco, steel, wood