MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

S30V vs ATS 34

Its quiet a long time I wasn't visit this forums so I think I missed a lot of important informations. Forgive me if I'm fooling around.

If these two steel in heat treated to it's limit, is it true that the S30V outperforms the ATS 34 on real world test? And in how much margin the differences is? Thx a lot guys. Cheers.

FRIDS
Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Master

Depends on what you mean by outperforms. The S30V is a CPM steel and they are now working on a CPM version of 154CM [ATS-34], that has some advantages. The three are all very fine knife steels and are very close in performance..
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Skilled

Frids,

I have not made/tested hundreds of knives with S30V and ATS-34. I'm not going to comment on abrasion resistance or toughness.

What I can say is that in kitchen work with narrow angles, S30V just seems to make a better cutting edge. Sorry I don't have an explaination.

Why do I say this? When I sharpen a new kitchen blade I use a horse hair brush to test the edge. If I can pop the tips off with no pressure my work is done. With S30V it's just easier to get that kinda performance - for me, with my tools, on horse hair, etc.

I still like ATS-34 and use it. Like mete said, they are both fine steels.

Steve

Old 09-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hello mete... I mean let's say there are two same blade profile with these two steel... Is there someone ever make a cut test on 1 inch rope and how's the results....? Or other cutting test, of course. Thx.

Frids
Old 09-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Hall of Famer

I use both S30V and ATS34 in my blades. S30V is very similar to ATS34 except that S30V has 4 times as much transverse rupture strength according to Crucible data charts.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Master

Don , the CPM process has two big advantages. The higher transverse impact strength as you mention and the finer and more evenly distributed carbides. That process costs more money of course !
Old 09-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete
Don , the CPM process has two big advantages. The higher transverse impact strength as you mention and the finer and more evenly distributed carbides. That process costs more money of course !
Yep, the difference in watching the chips formed by a drill is amazing. AND, that uses up more tools and grinding belts, so I have to raise the price of the knife accordingly.

For a knowledgeable buyer, if the knife is to see everyday hard use the difference in price is justified by the added toughness.

Tags
blade, knife, knives