MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Master

Sorry, that posted before I was ready, one of the downsides to my awesome mental abilities... The point is that if you can't educate the masses, might as well make some money off of 'em
Old 02-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you added that! I was about to suggest that you adjust the aluminum foil hat so aliens won't steal your brainwaves.

All good points. When Jules Verne wrote "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea", the idea of a submarine travelling around the world underwater - with sailors able to walk around in what we now call scuba gear - was complete science fiction. But such dreams sometimes inspire us; It's no accident that the first nuclear sub was named the "Nautilus".

Old 02-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Steel Addict

I think that there are all kinds of interesting ideas in speculative fiction. As far as people tempering to magnetic north is concerned, I say "live and let live" and that, however slight, something is going on there.

Thinking about the original idea as an edge, I wondered if maybe someone will eventually design a device to seperate (or cut) metals down between the molecules (or crystals, if you prefer.)

Hard to see what use it would be, as such, but the allusions to submarines, lasers and ultrasound are appropriate, and I like speculation in general. Sometimes, important technological developments originate in the pursuit of accomplishing one task and end up serving an entirely different field. Even the man who invented radar was originally trying to develop a "Death Ray." There is also that cold war invention called "the Internet" or something like that.

(Hiya, Jerry. I was awfully sorry to hear about Rob. I hope everything is well with you.)

Last edited by Sam Wereb; 02-10-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up Alan - Now you're talk'in!

This string certainly brought the dead back to life! Sleepers wake up...there is so much more out there to learn!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Master

Those RL "vibro blades" are pretty cool in concept, though I can't say I'm all that impressed by the fact that they can cut cake, I bet you could still cut cake with that thing even if it wasn't plugged in. I mean c'mon, it's cake if they could cut metals like that I'd be much more impressed.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast

My wife is a dental hygienist and works with ultra sonic cleaners all day long. If there is ever a "vibroblade" that is viable and has uses(other than sci-fi) it will be with ultrasonics. I have heard her talk about people in the school actually cutting flesh accidentally.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine
my original point was NOT that the sci-fi blade had a magnetic charge but an ionic charge of some type (sci-fi) which acted like the reverse pole of magnetism does by repelling objects away from the point -> Therefore, it was supposed to be the ultimate knife.
As I understand it, an ion is nothing more than an atom with an extra electron or a missing electron. An extra electron makes it a negative ion. A missing electron makes it a positive ion.

The only thing that an ion will repel is a particle of similar electrostatic charge. It will attract particles of opposite electrostatic charge. An example of an ionic charge may be had by rubbing a balloon on your shirt on a dry day, and then sticking it to your hair.

One can also ionize something by passing an electric current through it. Neon signs are full of ions. So is your tv or computer monitor.

Ions do not cut things, per se. If, however, you get enough of them going in the same direction they can burn through things easily. A plasmacutter does not cut in the manner of a knife or lathe bit - it burns through. I enjoy using plasmacutters, but seldom get the opportunity.

Perhaps the author was developing an early version of the lightsaber?

My own favorite blades from fiction:

- Wolverine's claws (from Marvel Comics; made from a fictional material)

- "Klaives" (from Werewolf: The Apocalypse; silver weapons "magically" made as good as steel)

- The "Sun Sword" (from the cartoon Thundarr: The Barbarian; a flaming lightsaber)

- "Force Knife" (from Isaac Asimov's "Lucky Starr" series; another precursor to the lightsaber)

Old 02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

If I remember my Crystal Chemistry correctly, metallic carbides have hybridized bonds where the C-M bond is part covalent, part ionic, while the outermost shell electrons participate in the metallic bond. This makes the carbide portion of steel at least partially molecullar. This being said, metal are not molecullar, but are crystalline. In the metallic bond, outer shell electrons move freely throughout the lattice, hence the thermal and electrical conductivity of metals.

Thingmaker, you are right about ions as far as you go. Ionic bonds form when either elements or molecules give up or accept electrons easily. Common ions have up to +/- 4 charge. They form compounds by simple electronic attraction to ions of opposite charge.

Steve Hayden steve4663@gmail.com
Aztec, NM

Last edited by shgeo; 02-14-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Boy has this forum gotten wierd.

jloose.com

Old 02-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Skilled

Just out of curiosity, has anyone studied the effects of quenching in a strong magnetic field? With a strong electic current running through the blade (that might be exciting anyway, just wear protection!)?

I mean, til we try it, can we really say if it makes any difference?

Yeah, I have a collection of science fiction from the 30's and 40's....one of the stories mentions a vibro-blade. It seems to be a pretty common staple of science fiction writers, I've seen them in quite a few stories over the years.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Loose
Boy has this forum gotten wierd.

Yeah you start talking about dental hygiene and we'll lose all our members from England and Georgia.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Master

There is a forth metal that is ferromagnetic - gadolinium. A rare earth metal that is used for it's magnetic properties to enhance MRI and MRA pictures.That's what they inject you with.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Steel Addict

Mystery Metals

Let us not forget the amazing properties of Unobtanium. It cold forges without work hardening, heat treats at 212F, and retains a hard edge up to 1000F. Easily polished and etched, this wonder metal is a dream to work with...............

Old 02-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

You can always substitute Utopium for Unobtainium.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
To be fair, science does have a tendency to underestimate or belatedly appreciate causes both unsuspected and especially, those involving multiple, interactive elements.

jloose.com

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives