MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 10-16-2004, 09:54 PM

It finally happened !

I guess it happens to all of us sooner or later -- after over 200 various Busse and Swamp Rat sheaths, I got a note today from a customer telling me how disappointed he was with the NO sheath I sent him last week. What can I say -- I told him I'd gladly refund his money, and told him I also was disappointed that he didn't get what he expected.

Chalk it up to experience, try harder to get the customer what he wants, and move on.

I try to get it better than right every time, but guess I didn't this time -- I'm actually glad he told me right away how he felt -- lesson learned

Mike

Old 10-17-2004, 04:20 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to paradiggum
I guess the question that needs asked is what didn't he like? (I don't expect an answer just an illustration for my next point.)
There are hundreds of reasons to like or dislike something. I could dislike my NO because of the assymetrical edge. Does that mean it's bad? No. That's how it was designed. It works well and is easy to sharpen. Does that mean I have to like it? Nope. (I do though)
I could be unhappy if a sheath doesn't fit me right because I have more than necessary in the midsection. Is that the sheath makers fault? Nope. Am I happy with a sheath I can't wear? Nope. But I have only myself and my love of good food to blame.
Reasons for satisfaction are subjective.
I understand your point of view. You take pride in what you do. I feel the same way when I make or do something.
Just don't let it bother you. I'd say that a .5% disappointment rate is unheard of in pretty much any industry.
I've not had the priviledge of wearing any of your sheaths but from everything I've seen and heard you have an excellent product.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:24 AM

Para ----
Objectively I have to agree with everything you say, but 5% is still 5% I'd like to correct.
I had one of those feelings from the start of the email series on this one -- you know, something was bound to go wrong -- and maybe a phone call early on would have prevented any dissatisfaction (emails can sure be a hard way to get exact details and oreferences!). But, live and learn and, as I said, it was bound to happen. I certainly don't blame the customer, it's his money and his sheath.

Now where did I put that leather knife ?
Mike

Last edited by MtMike; 10-17-2004 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to paradiggum
Yeah I know. I'm a perfectionist as well with my given trade. I build and detail guitars. I customize them for people. I've certainly run into some demanding customers.
Oh and don't inflate your numbers sir. You list 5%. Per the numbers in your first post it comes out to .5%. One half of one percent.
So in other words out of 100 people only half of someone is unhappy? The only thing I wanna know is what half. The top? Bottom? Left or right?

Sorry I'll stop now. See what happens when ya don't sleep enough?

Old 10-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Registered

Yeah, I have to agree with Pradiggum on that Mike. No way to make everyone happy. That is nothing against you or the buyer. Imagine how often that happens with mass produce, shrink wrapped products you actually get to see and hold before buying them!!! For something that is handcrafted and generally purchased sight unseen, some room has to be left for the a communication gap AND I think more importantly the craftsman's interpretation and experience. My Busse feels differently than I what expected but I love the difference! What type of sheath was it? What knife was the sheat for?

Hope you are doing well out in CO!
Old 10-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered

I do understand how that FIRST ONE could be a bitter pill. Think of the masses who have been so stoked on your gear! You know, going out and putting that first scratch on my NO's crinkle coat was hard for me being a first time high end knife buyer, but now that knife gets more beautiful the more I use it. So you got knicked, but that doesn't make your work any less amazing!
Old 10-17-2004, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys - I'll have to see what comes back to me -- I sometimes package stuff in the evening so I can hit the PO early morning, so if I sent out one that shouldn't have gone -- my bad ! Yeh Mike, I figgered out the 5% - .5% thing on the way to the Academy for golf this morning. I read your post early
As I said, live and learn, if I didn't take pride in he worl I do for friends and customers it wouldn't be worth doing, right

Dunner -- Colorado in the Fall is just spectacular !! 41 when I woke up, 55 when we teed off at 0745, and 75 when we finished. Playing golf in the shadow of Pikes Peak -- don't get no better
Mike

Old 11-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Registered

Mike,
I sell bush rocks for a living; we collect them from around the mountain ranges on private land and pay royalties to the land holders.
The customer pays for the cost of this and retrieval, also the operation of a 4X4 loader. Trucking and wages etc. In return they get sound rock covered in moss, lichen and fungal growths of various colors to decorate their gardens, pools and to build retaining walls.

They pay for the colors.

I had an irate customer last year phone me and tell me that it took her and her husband four days to scrub all of the muck off the rocks.

MORAL

Ya? can?t win them all.
Ian.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:20 PM

Excellent point Ian -- but didn't you just want to beat your head against an immovable object at the time ??!! Or their head

Just keeps us on our toes, right !

Mike

Tags
blade, knife