MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Enthusiast

Can anyone recomend a steel for a sashimi knife?

Been toying with the idea of making a couple of sashimi knives for the kitchen. They are always a carbon steel. Dont know if I should use A-2, O-1, L-6 or a CPM 1V or 10V. They dont ever see anything tougher than a fish bone, anyone got a recomendation? Likely only made by stock removal. Is one all that much tougher than the other and which has the finest edge (polished, of course)?

Vishnu
Old 09-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Master

Japanese kitchen knives tend to be much harder then western kitchen knives, they tend to favor the attitude of caring for your tools rather then thinking that good tools should be able to take alot of abuse. I'd reccomend something with roughly 1-1.25% carbon like maybe 1095, O1, or 52100. I'm not familier with the carbon levels of the A2 or the CPM steels you mentioned, so those might fit too. The high carbon and lesser tempering gives you harder steel with lots of carbides, what this means for you is better edge holding ability though it'll chip if used for something like chopping through beef bones.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Master

From your list I would only use O-1 or A-2.They have enough carbon to give good edge retention and other properties and are easily heat treated . Both have 1% carbon which I think is ideal, and both have long been used for various types of blades.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Steel Addict

Give 15n20 a try. I made a batch of kitchen knives from it and they disappeared, so I made a batch of 16. Gone! It was suggested to heat treat with hardening at critical then drawing at 350. This Rockwelled at 62rc and needs a diamond hone to sharpen. My next batch I'll try at a 400 draw. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

People probably get tired of hearing me say this, but CPM-3V would be a good choice. The reason I say that is the very fine grain structure allows you to give it a very fine edge. 3% Vanadium Carbides give it excellent wear resistance. And since you plan on taking care of it, the fact that it's not corrosion resistant isn't a problem. The fact that it's also tough is a non-issue, ...unless of course someone else forgets and happens to toss it point first into the sink when you're not looking. It's a great all around steel.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 02-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered

Wink

This Is A Repeat As I Was On Wrong Page Before, Did You Find A Steel For Sashema Knife As Im Just Starting ,and Im Looking For Same Sort Of Knife Steel , My Grinder Got Here From Alberta The Other Day Fred

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives