MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 AM
Skilled

Brass Rod Testing?

Hi Guys,

Exactly how hard are you pushing during a brass rod test? I am pushing till the edge flexes and the brass is scuffed. I dont want to push so hard I run the risk of injury due to a slipping of the blade.. My thought is that if the edge is flexed...its flexed. If its not flexing the edge is still hard or your not pushing hard enough.

Any input is great.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Steel Addict

brass bending test

If I remember right, in Wayne Goddards video on cable Damascus, he uses about 35 pounds pressure.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Steel Addict

Edge geometry can also affect this. There may be too much material at the edge which is not allowing it too flex like it should. I usually check this first if I have any problems.
Jon

ABS Master Smith

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten" author unknown
Old 09-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Living Legend

The brass rod flex test is actually a good test of overall functioning. As mentioned, it can be somewhat dependent on the thickness of the blade and edge bevel, but if you're having significant difficulties making it flex, it might be too thick anyway.

You're not trying to flex the area behind the bevel, you're trying to flex the very edge itself. Usually, if an edge is already formed, even a relatively thick edge will manifest a "dimple" when pressed agaqinst the rod.

Remember that the brass rod test will give you the "thumbs up" that a blade is in the correct hardness / toughness range for adequate and proper functionign as a knife. However, that range can be quite wide and you will still need to refine your HT techniques within that acceptable range for the ideal performance characteristics for your knife.

Another version of the test I like to do is to place the rod on a flat clean surface, and ROLL the edge across the rod. With a bright light coming from an angle, I can see the "flex" occuring wherever the rod is in contact with the edge. This gives me the assurance that the entire edge is well tempered and responsive to flexing stresses.

Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 09-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Steel Addict

Before much more time goes by you won't have to do that . You willl know how well the HT went from experience. I spend a lot of time banging edges into hardened oak and cutting hundreds of feet of cardboard. As time goes by and you become settled into your HT'ing you will learn to recognise when it went well, even without testing.

RL

Tags
blade, knife