MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Steel Addict

Rope investment in the future

Last night we were testing the cutting ability of some blades on their way to becoming knives. We ran out of rope and I went back to my roll of 1 1/8 inch hemp to cut off some more test pieces. It caused me to remember back to the time I first started cutting rope to test blades for endurance performance. There was not much money for supplies and the oil field supply outfit had a patrial roll of rope, they offered to trade me the rope for a knife. I Agreed and the trade was made. At the time it seemed like a lot of investment to pay just to test knives.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was one of the best investment I ever made. At the time 30cuts was considered good performance, today 1,000 cuts is routine. Without the ability to test our blades it would not have happened.

I have just about used up my third roll of rope and will order some more soon. For those who desire to achieve high endurance performace I suggest that any investments you make that will enable you to evaluate the performace qualities of your blades will be well worth it.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Hall of Famer

A neat story, and a great idea Ed. Is there any particular type of hemp rope to look for, or will any 1 1/8th" "Hemp rope" do the work? Wonder if rope manufacturing standards have changed since the time of 30 cuts? I'd think the stuff is tougher now since then, which really shows a change!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 06-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Steel Addict

The stuff I am getting has proven real consistent. I purchase it from an oil field supply house.

You brought up a good point, a reference knife is essential to the reliability of the tests.
I use an old Marbles Woodcraft that was made in the late 30's. When ever I feel that something has changed drastically I simply sharpen up the old Marbles and cut with it and have a base line to compare to. It doesn't matter what knife you use for your reference blade, as long as you always use the same knife.

Also important is the desireability of keeping the rope clean. I have an air tight WWII wooden box with lid and lock downs. It keeps the rope from gathering grit and dust from the shop enviornment and preserves the integrity of the rope.

I cut on 2 x 6 boards, some place news paper on top of the wood and try not to dilute their results by cutting up their bench top.

Some hemp rope has plastic strands in one of the lays, I remove them when real accurate ideals are in play. I have never purchased any of that rope, just had some when it was given me.

I started using 1 1/8 inch rope because that is what they had at the time of my first purchase and purely out of tradition I have kept using it.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Hall of Famer

I was hoping you weren't using the rope that you used in your old video of the Ed Fowler/Cow battle. That rope was probably packed with dust, dirt, grit, mud, blood, cow hair, cow fleas, cow pies, plus shreds of your bluejeans and leather from your belt. I thought for sure you were going to make that knife into a true "Using" knife. Good thing you had it nearby, I think that cow even surprised you!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 06-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Steel Addict

Working with cows, horses, sheep, dogs and ranch life provides strong motivation to make the kind of knife you can depend upon. It also teaches a lot about design if a man is able to see the messages that are right before his eyes.

I have been very lucky in the game of life, it all fits and what more can a man ask for?
A good horse, good dog, good knife and if he is very lucky a good woman.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 AM

I got some used 3/4" rope from a crab boat in Seattle. Not sure, but I think it might make up for being thin, by having a lot of salt in it.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast

Great story Ed.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Tags
blade, knife, knives, made, wax