MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Any experiences with Sullivan Steel 52100?

Bladesmiths -
I recently came across the following website www.52100steel.com (Sullivan Steel) . They appear to specialize in 52100 in Round Solid and Tubes. I fired off an email and they requested more details on what I wanted. I hope to get back some prices soon. They don't appear to have flat bars, only round(probably make a better blade, just more work) I requested quotes on 5/8' and 3/4" figuring that is about as large as I would want to forge by hand.

Has anyone had any experience with this company or their steel? I figure that anything under $4 per pound would be a decent price.

I searched the site and did not get any hits. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Doug

Old 06-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Master

I have made two large bulk orders in the last 3 or 4 years from them...I still have enough in stock to last me several years. ... The good thing about buying in bulk is that once you figure out the best heat treatment, then everything stays consistant.

Ask for a spec sheet from them then you will know what the content is...they will also provide a heat treatment sheet .

They sell at least three types of 52100,.... the basic 52100, a mod 1 and mod 2...Mod 1 is recommended for sections 1/2 to 3/4 inch and mod 2 for 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch sections...hence I use the basic 52100.

I think the steel is actualy manufactured by Ovako in Scandinavia (at least my last batch was).....

If you purchase from Sullivans then you know what your getting...its quality virgin steel used in the bearing industry.....Pretty certain they only sell in round bars and flattening this by hand is going to be pretty hard work , its pretty stiff under the hammer. I cheat and use a press and power hammer
If your going to follow their heat treatment recommendations (hint hint) then your going to need a way to monitor and hold at precise temperatures...I use a digital kiln.

You may find that they only sell in larger quantities to companies as they wanted me to send them some business recommendatons before they would sell to me.

Last edited by Coutel; 06-30-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I am figuring on 5/8 and 3/4" round. I hope I don't need to buy 250 pounds. My experience cooking BBQ has taught me that starting with good raw materials is essential.

I am starting with 5160 but intend to work with 52100 after I have 5160 figured out . I have read everything I can from Ed Caffrey and Ed Fowler on 52100. I am just finishing my propane forge and have just started converting an old oven into a PID controlled tempering oven. I have plans for a PID controlled Electric HT Furnace, but I am currently saving for my KMG.

I have a lot of learning to do, to be sure. I appreciate the info. -Doug

Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutel
If you purchase from Sullivans then you know what your getting...its quality virgin steel used in the bearing industry.
If you are looking for virgin steel you better ask if their current 52100 has any recycled steel in it. We've been looking for virgin steel for a few years. Every mill we've talked to says all current 52100 melts contain recycled material.

Please come back and let us know if they do have virgin steel.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bybee
If you are looking for virgin steel you better ask if their current 52100 has any recycled steel in it. We've been looking for virgin steel for a few years. Every mill we've talked to says all current 52100 melts contain recycled material.

Please come back and let us know if they do have virgin steel.

My comment to virgin steel was in reference to as new, ready for the bearing industry variety, and not some ball bearings salvaged from a scrap dealer, ...sorry for any confusion.

... I have no idea if the steel is recycled or not and its not an issue for me anyway
so do not wait for me to come back to you with an answer

Old 08-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutel
My comment to virgin steel was in reference to as new, ready for the bearing industry variety, and not some ball bearings salvaged from a scrap dealer.
Thank you for the clarification . I apologize for my mistake.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Skilled

Give Ray Kirk a call or drop him a line.He has all sizes and even roll it for you.He also has the mill specs. on it. Thanks Robert

Tags
52100, angle, awesome, bee, beginning, brand, choose, chris, diamond, forge, leather, scratch, steel, strap