MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

"Scientific" Blade Coating Test

Hi there, I'm trying to figure out how to "measure" how well different blade coatings retain themselves. However, I'm having problem finding a way to "measure it scientifically" for it to count in my science investigation. Any ideas on measurablility? -Aaron
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

There's a whole science to coatings; it's much more complicated than just a simple measure of one versus another.

How does the coating behave when it's hot, does it turn brittle when cold, does it lose adhesion when it's chipped, etc.

Also, are you talking only coatings (which are generally epoxies) or including parkerizing, bluing, or case hardening?

To do any "measuring", you'll have to more tightly focus your question.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

True. What I'm planning for is a science project based on metallurgy. It really shouldn't be too hard considering I know enough metallurgy to get myself through a detailed paper and experiment. However, I have been instructed to be able to "measure" or "count" the results of my experiment. For instance, Plant A grew 3 inches taller than plant B because the nitrogen content in plant A's soil was higher. The only thing is, the best way I can come up with is a ranking type thing. I am considering bluing. I also considered doing a separate experiment concerning different lubes and "rust preventers." So, that second experiment would be on rust prevention. However, the first experiment with the epoxy-type coatings would concern durability or coating retention. -Aaron
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Steel Addict

How about a carefully maintained pressure (force per unit area) with a mild abrasive moving against the surface at a carefully maintained rate (distance per time)? Then you can measure how much of the above are needed to expose the surface (say 50% or whatever) for the coatings in your project.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM

www.relentlessknives.com/Duracoatreview.htm

There is a practical test at the above link.
Not what your looking for, but I would appreciate it if you post some of your results.

Tags
blade, knife, post