MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

S90v / 420v

I'm really happy with this alloy from Crucible. Some do not like the difficulty/challenge in getting this alloy to do what you want it to in the amount of time that it takes. For me however during deer season this year, i was able to process two whitetail deer with out every thinkin' about pullin' out a back up. the year before with the same knife I want to say I processed three without sharpening that knife. For me and growing up with factory (yuk) poor edge retention knives i'm really impressed and pleased with this alloy. Anyone with first hand experience, please tell whether or not I can get this kind of edge retention performance from a superalloy blade material?? Many Many thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate d.
Anyone with first hand experience, please tell whether or not I can get this kind of edge retention performance from a superalloy blade material
I'm not sure I understand the question. S90V is a "superalloy" in my book.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If edge retention and stainless is what you want, S90V is hard to beat, and I agree with Larrin that it's a superalloy by any definition I know. Pragmatically, I prefer S30V because it is a lot tougher than S90V and will generally hold an edge about as well if you're using the edge against bone or other hard materials that might microchip more brittle steels.

BTW, I've had a goodly number of customers who've field dressed and skinned several deer (including splitting the brisket) without resharpening their 154CM blades. How you shape and finish the edge makes a big difference.

Opinions vary.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Steel Addict

According to Crucible's data sheets, CPM S90V should be far superior to S30V. Their data sheets show that their toughness's are about the same, while S90V's wear resistance is at least 2 times greater. I realize that this amounts to more work to get a finished blade.

Disclaimer: I have no working experience with these steels. I'm only stating what I observe from the Crucible data sheets.

Thanks,

M.L.

Last edited by logem; 12-28-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by logem
According to Crucible's data sheets, CPM S90V should be far superior to S30V. Their data sheets show that their toughness's are about the same, while S90V's wear resistance is at least 2 times greater. I realize that this amounts to more work to get a finished blade.

Which leads me to a question that I hope doesn't divert the discussion from S90V:

Again, Crucible's data sheets show that CPM 9V has probably the highest values of toughness and wear resistance combined. Its toughness is probably twice that of S90V and its wear resistance is basically the same. Is this steel rarely used for blades due to it's hard workability/grindability or are there other reasons such as heat treat difficulties?

These comments are not fact, they are merely what I have observed from perusing steel data sheets.

Please set me straight.

Wouldn't S9V be close to the "ultimate blade steel" for a sharp edge retention application such as skinning/quartering game?

Thanks,

M.L.
It's a common question. The thing is, CPM 9V is designed to be tough and wear resistant for applications that don't require that much toughness. I don't think it can even be heat treated to 60 Rc.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrin
It's a common question. The thing is, CPM 9V is designed to be tough and wear resistant for applications that don't require that much toughness. I don't think it can even be heat treated to 60 Rc.
Larrin,

Thanks for the reply. I revised/edited my post while you were responding after I noticed that S9V can only be hardened to about 56 Rc.

Now my main question is "why isn't S90V used more often than S30V"?. Is it due to workability, or edge retention, or overall performance, or cost?

M.L.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Larrin,

Thanks for the reply. I revised/edited my post while you were responding after I noticed that S9V can only be hardened to about 56 Rc.

Now my main question is "why isn't S90V used more often than S30V"?. Is it due to workability, or edge retention, or overall performance, or cost?

M.L.
Cost might be some of it, but most of it it difficulty in polishing. S30V is difficult enough. Vanadium carbide is harder than most abrasives (harder than aluminum oxide and about the same hardness as silicon carbide), so it makes it very difficult to polish.

Edited to add: Of course, S30V is also easier to sharpen and has more toughness.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Larrin,

M.L.
Phil Wilson gets HRC 60-61. Edge retention will be much better at that hardness.

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/Up...0v%20steel.htm

Tags
blade, knife, knives