MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:38 AM
Steel Addict

For our purposes CPM 3V is a good candidate. Its pretty relative though to other requirements of the particular blade.

RL

Old 11-30-2004, 02:08 PM

I agree with the others who say S30V is tougher. I have used all the steels mentioned plus some others and hands down S30V wins. I made a couple of big choppers with it and beat the crap out of them and have had no chipping or bending. I refuse to mirror polish it it isn't worth the time. I think you can tell a lot by working on the steel how tough it is. S30V is much tougher to work on.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Ihytrek, you just said something I have been wanting to say for a long time, especially to the armchair experts and semiscientists who read steel data sheets and are instant experts on blade steels. IMO, nothing tells you more about a steel than shaping it, grinding it, sharpening it. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to describe what you are sensing in the process that is communicating to you. Maybe it's all of it, but after working with a number of steels they each have their own character and performance qualities.

The BEST endorcement I know for S30V is that it's just the most miserable stuff in the world to work with. If it weren't so ####ed good, I don't know a single knifemaker who would touch it.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 11-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Registered

U guys dont know nothing about stainless steel. The best stuff that ive found that keeps it sharp edge it 316 & 304 stainless steel and they have lasted me about 12 months without having to sharpen them once. they get used just about everyday.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Master

I'm going to assume this is a joke, but just in case it's not...

300 series stainless will be much tougher then the others mentioned, even the S30V, but it's ability to take an edge is a joke. It's use for things like sinks and casings, it's not HTable so it'll never harden well enough to take a real edge. If you really think it takes an edge I'm guessing that you're cutting with the burr, the burr is a pain to remove from 300 series. You should try sharpening some other steels and see what a real edge is like, a jagged burr will cut, but a real edge cuts good.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Steel Addict

Well, 420 is way tougher than S30V, 154-CM, and 440C, if it's toughness that you're worried about. It will take an edge, unlike 316 stainless. It's not going to win any edge retention competitions though.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to Quisto56
where would you buy this s30v steel
Old 11-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Steel Addict

Has anyone here tried a steel called Elmax?
the typical analysis of this is : C 1.7, Si 0.8, Mn 0.3, Cr 18, Mo 1, V 3

http://www.bucorp.com/Products/MoldM...eets/elmax.pdf

thanks
/Roger

Old 11-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Living Legend

I think the answer to the original question (toughest stainless steel) has been comprehensively answered - S30V.

My experience with RWL34 tells me that with any given chemical makeup, the steel with the particullate metallurgy will be vastly superior to the smelted version. Thats one reason why S30V is so good. Can't wait to try CPM154CM.

It seems that S30V is the current holy grail of bladed performance, but I personally find some of its best properties are also its worst. The extreme wear resistance makes it most difficult to work, and to resharpen. Unfortunately, and ironically, that makes it less desirable for me as a field knife, particularly for survival type situations where I may not be lucky enough to have access to high-tech abrasives. I want something that can be worked with a river rock ! I suppose my standards are a little different... So good old carbon tool steels it is !

I'm just lazy when it comes to resharpening and RWL34 is the upper range for resharpening difficulty for my tastes, when it comes to stainless steels.

Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 PM

This is kind of an old thread but someone talked about polishing s30v. I tried one where I polished it before heat treating and it turned out pretty good. Takes some serious buffing though but I liked the finish. To bad I screwed up the guard or it would have been nice.

Tags
blade, hunting knife, knife, knives