MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Living Legend

Sharpening S30V

Hi guys,

Read in another thread a place to get small stones to go with knives and I didn't want to walk over it with this question. The site carries both small Arkansas stones and small ceramic rods. I remember reading on other post around here that standard whet stones don't do well for S30V or any other of the CPM steels and that belt, with a polish after, or diamonds are the preferred sharpening methods. I want to include a sharpener or dresser with my hunting knives for use in the field. I use a ceramic rod in my kitchen and they do wonders. What would you send with you knives if you had a chose? I would love to send diamond but that would cut just a bit much into the price of the knife and sheath and I don't want to send something cheap with the knives. I put a bit of work into the knives and don't want to drop the ball at the end; I rather send nothing than mess it up.

Thanks for your time,
Jim
Old 03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I would suggest the finest ceramic rod you can find. S30V doesn't hold up well with a coarse edge in my experience, so anything that might leave such an edge, like most diamond stones, would not be a good choice.

Standard whet stones are great but most people don't know how to use them and are as likely to mess up the edge as they are to make it better. One nice thing about a rod is that holding a constant angle is easier to visualize.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Master

I have an old diamond rod which is very fine after years of use .I use it to do most of my sharpening .One thing I learned about diamond is that it will cut anything [I've used it on carbides ] and it will cut fast. You need a light touch otherwise you'll remove lots of material.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Living Legend

Thanks for both your replies,

I'm wanting to send one out for each of the hunters so I not sure about the worn diamond stones, but I do know some of my clients, as it were, do have worn diamonds and I can recommend this to them. Most of those have a walk in agreements to have their blades resharpened by me. I would rather me do it than them messing it up and getting made at me. This is only for those local to me and a couple have been using them for a year without resharpening. Got to love Paul Bos heat treat .

This is mainly for the father away customers so they can do some justice to the edge. I looked into seeing how much professional sharpeners will charge and recommending them. Unfortunately, most won't deal with custom knives; they're to high a dollar value. None of the ones I checked, about a half dozen, will touch S30V. They say it's to damaging to their equipment.

I've been slowly trying to convince the hunters around me that it's easier to spend a half an hour or more at home resharpening than it is constantly reshapening in the field, cold wet, covered in very disgusting stuff . One guy would have his partner sharpen one blade while he worked and change out every ten minutes or so. So far most have liked it better.

Thanks again,
Jim

Tags
blade, knife, knives