MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Lightbulb Bill Roland sent me this link...

From the PSII Project;University of Wisconsin comes this interesting information:

"Ion implantation is a process by which ions are accelerated to a target at energies high enough to bury them below the target's surface. Depending on the application, the acceleration energies can range from a few keV to MeV.

What is ion implantation used for?

Ion implantation was developed as a means of doping the semiconductor elements of integrated circuits. Because of the speed, accuracy, cleanliness and controllability of the process, it has become the standard for this type of work.

In the early 1970s, it was found that ion implantation of metal surfaces could improve their wear, friction and corrosion properties. Ion implantation of specific tools is now preferred over other types of coating technologies because the ion implanted layer doesn't delaminate, doesn't require high processing temperatures to produce, and doesn't add more material on the surface (which would change the size of critical components).

Ion implantation is now used regularly to implant specific tools and equipment (e.g. score dies for aluminum can pop-tops and artificial knee and hip joints). Studies have shown considerably more applications can benefit from ion implantation, however, the expense of the process prevents it from becoming cost-effective for those applications.

What is Plasma Source Ion Implantation?" More on this topic

What will we discover, when we put aside the protective foil helments and allow ourselves to dream?
peregrine
My site
Old 02-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

We can also learn more if we set aside the two dimension thinking we derive from photographs and see knives as the three dimensional objects they are. There's a lot of potential in that third dimension. Lots of things are possible if we step outside the box.

BTW, I looked into getting a particle accelerator for that vacant corner in my shop and decided it just wouldn't fit...

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 02-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, you're right.

Yes... its a shame. But don't you know, the portable unit is just around the corner. ( I hear it is expensive though!)
Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Steel Addict

Looks like this ion-implantation has been proven useful in lower carbon steels. Anybody find results for the carbon levels we use?

I did find places that will treat "targets" up to nine inches across.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

uh huh

i have not understood one word of this,but then again, i was the only kid in the third grade that drove a '36 ford.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

I tried to use my mental facualties to aline the molecular stucture of all of my knife blades.... all it did was make my knives dull :confused:

Larry

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives