MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Here's a listing of Suppliers done my Craig Wilkins. It has pretty much anything you'll ever need in knifemaking.

http://www.internetbusinesslinks.net/SupplierList.html

As for my use of the loose buff, all I am doing at that point is removing the very fine wire edge that's left after I'm done on a 1200 or 2000 grit belt. The edge is already shiney and I just want to get rid of that fine wire. I'm not doing any sharpening with the buff. The harder the buff, the more aggressive it cuts, regardless of whatever compound is on it. I can tell you, a felt wheel with green compound can cut very aggressively. I used to use that for mirror polishing and would sometimes have trouble with pitting caused by overpolishing. I have a paper wheel and have used that a few times just for stropping. I let the white compound wear off long ago and just use the paper as a strop on blades that I just want to touch up. Great for kitchen knives.

Steve, I'd guess that setup you're using would work great. I use a somewhat similar arrangement, with the rotary platen I got from KMG and set the tension to whatever shape I want the convex to be. I usually keep it vertical since I'm more often sharpening a number of knives at once and they don't all take/get the same edge profile, and I can judge the angle better with the platen at 90 degrees.

Have you thought about covering your mousepad with some graphite belting to make it wear a little better?

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 12-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Skilled

Jerry,

RE: the platen

Yes I do use graphite belting. Here's a pic of the setup:

The sheet metal on the back let's me slip the thing on and off the regular platen. I use it for convex edge grinds, handle work, ... I'd say it's on there more than it's off!

I found a pic of how I setup my platen. If I could judge angles with the platen upright I would. But you know how it is. Once you have something dialed in, it's hard to change.

Steve

Old 12-01-2004, 11:24 AM

It's not "hard to change", it's IMPOSSIBLE to change!!

That's a great looking setup and a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER than a rotary platen. Wish I'd thought of it before I got the platen.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

What's not been mentioned is that the "hottest" hand-sharpening method for woodworking tools is the "scary-sharp" method. The woodworker uses various grits of sandpaper that have been spray-glued or taped to a piece of glass to keep them very flat. Usually oil is added to the sandpaper surface. You can sharpen nearly anything to razor sharp in a short time, if you just have a good variety of grits! Its also a good idea to have a jig to maintain a consistent angle.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Skilled

TJ,

If want a consistent angle you don't need a jig. Try this:

http://knives.mylamb.com/calc.htm

Steve

Old 12-01-2004, 12:55 PM

Hey I make knives at 25 degrees and more that will shave all day. But then, I hadn't read that link before...

Actually, I had read the link and thought it was pretty clever.

The woodworking guys sort of do need a jig for things like planer blades. Otherwise you might sand in some twist that would mar the surface. That's a whole 'nother' world!

Old 12-01-2004, 04:10 PM

I have been using Jerry's suggestion regarding very fine belts to sharppen. I used a 9 micron belt that is well worn with a light touch. These edges have been lasting much longer then my previous edges. Very light buffing at the end.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Steve! That should be one of the forum's tutorials!!

Jerry pointed out what I neglected to include in my posting - When a woodworker is sharpening a chisel or plane, they often use a jig to maintain the angle AND to insure that the edge stays straight.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Skilled

TexasJack,

I didn't mean to knock jigs. When I've used that 'calculator' with waterstones I found I could keep things real consistent, but it's a lot of work.

Kinda a montra-centering prep thing, then a confortable position, then locking your elbows, then moving your body, .... Even then one slip and ....

Jigs are good things.

I do like the coin trick for plan old sharpening on a stone. It is amazing how consistent you can be.

Steve

Tags
blade, knife, knives