MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 07-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Living Legend

Marking Methods

I am wary of bringing this up, and don't wish to engage in supplier bashing, but I have to ask this here:

I wish to ask the community here to chime in if they've had problems dealing with Marking Methods. After many years of very happy use of my MM etcher and stencils, I decided to celebrate my retirement to "fulltime" knifemaking by designing a new logo. After checking quality of a couple other manufacturer's samples, I decided to stick with MM stencils.

I have had a very unpleasant experience all told trying to get my stencils cut. Customer Service that doesn't return e-mails and phone calls (no 800 number, in this day and age....arrrgh!) in a timely fashion. Runaround about "we don't have that font (standard font outta MS Word), we can't work with a bmp file, or any other file format common to a home PC, we can't foto your (hi-res large) drawing, blah blah blah. Finally, they "hand draw" the font and then charge me a significant fee for artwork on each size without informing me. Final straw was they didn't send the stencils on the green like I wanted, having requested that in e-mail and hardcopy follow-up. When informed, they gave me such a whiney song and dance about how they don't know if it will work, they can't guarantee it, and so on, that I said to hell with it, I'll use what you sent.

Now, the kicker, and the only reason I'm posting this, is when informed, the sales manager was supposed to call, and never did, though he says he "tried". I'm home all day, every day, and have a functioning answering machine. So, this is just plain doodoo. Happened with a friend much the same, too.

The bottom line is they've had every chance possible here, and just don't seem to have their game together like they did years back. What I'd like is yea's and nays about any experiences. If adequate response, I'll flag this thread to the managers at MM and they can read for themselves. If I have an isolated experience, then so be it and I'll just chalk it up. It was just such an uncomfortable experience I wanted some input. 17 years ago, I sent them a prepared piece of art on paper and had great stencils in 2 weeks. Now, seems things have changed.

Any input either way woul be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:49 PM
Skilled

Sorry to hear that Mike. I just sent some artwork to Koval and got them back in about a week on the green silkscreen stuff. It works great.

Not sure where Koval gets their stencils done but it could be MM. Anyway, I may have spent more this way, I don't know, but at least I have a great stencil. I sent mine on paper, laser printed and actual size and they did the rest.

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 07-03-2002, 05:31 PM
Skilled

I have been a little involved in this Marking Methods problem, and I have to say that, after talking to the sales manager, and believing his promises(my mistake), I believe that company has taken a down hill turn.
I too used to deal with them years ago. They were great. Now you have to argue with them and sign waivers to get your stencil on the good green material.
I will not be recommending that company again in the future, to any makers.

Old 07-03-2002, 05:44 PM
Living Legend

grrrr

Peter, I sent MM computer files via e-mail, files in several formats on disk, and hardcopy artwork on glossy and plain paper in very hi-res. Offered to shrink it in print, since I'd done that at home to look at it in real size. Seems unless you have the one program ($1000) that they use, they have to re-do it for a charge. Whole process seems sorta averse to the small user.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:15 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Drac
Mike,

I took a vo-tech class in high school (1/2 of my classes for a year) and worked in a silk screening shop for severial months as an artist. I am not up on the latest equipment, but when I called a couple of stamp makers we talked about the art and as long as I could provide photo ready art in a slightly larger size they said there would be no charge. This corresponds to the way it was when I worked in the shop and how severial printers companys I have worked for were treated. I would wonder about anyone who would still charge a setup fee when photo ready art is provided.

Drac
Yes, it would make one wonder.:confused:

Old 07-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Thumbs down

Mike, my experiences with them over the last five years or so exactly parallel yours. I have complained about them on other forums (Steve Johnson's, if I recall), as well as to MM themselves.

I am very sorry to say that they are still the best game in town.

In all fairness, the most recent time I delt with them (ordering parts for my machine; not stencils), I had an excellent experience with Natalie McKenzie, who was friendly and responsive. The next time I need stencils, she will be the one I ask for.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Last edited by Don Cowles; 07-04-2002 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Steel Addict

Anyone have tryed to make its own stencils ?
Bob Warner give instruction to make your own
Electro-Etch stencils on its web site.

http://warnerknives.com/electroetch.htm

I did not test yet but that should not delay...

Alain M-D
Old 07-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Skilled

I and a couple of others are going to check into alternative companys that make etchers/stencils. If we can find any that compare, as far as quality, price, and service(that last shouldn't be hard), one of us will post that info here.
This place should be about finding places with the best, for the least. Knifemakers work hard for the $$. We will try to help you make the bucks go further.

Old 07-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Living Legend

Thanks, Mike! You'll be doing us all a favor who use electro-etching!
Old 07-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by fitzo
Thanks, Mike! You'll be doing us all a favor who use electro-etching!
LOL, don't thank me, you're part of the "couple of others" in my last post.

Old 07-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Steel Addict

I'm still using them, however, I am experiencing most of the same problems as the rest of you. I was able to work around most of them. The one that really bothers me is the gold stencils. I specifically asked, and was told, that I could get green stencils with the design I was using. I specifically requested green and was sent gold.

Brett
Old 07-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Skilled

Brett, I can't prove this, but it looks like they do that to generate more stencil sales, as the gold ones last only 1/4 the number of applications, if that.

Old 07-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Skilled

Well I have been hesitant to reply because I am still worrying with M.M. . I have left word on the their answering machine several times and have even giving them my cell phone # so I could be reached at anytime,BUT no replies!!! If I forget to turn on the answering machine, caller i.d. is always on and I have not seen where they have tried to call.

I contacted, and knowing the problems with different fonts, ask them for a sample of what they had in a plain scriptive font. They sent 15 by email and I picked one. I had ask if there was going to be any extra charge for their help and I was told "no". When they had the price together for the order is was $25 over the normal plate and art charge. They said that since my stencil was soo intricate that it warranted the extra charge and that I would have to go with the gold stencils, not the green that I had ask for.

Still waiting,day 7 I think, for them to get in touch with me.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:21 PM

M.M.

I also had problems when I ordered my stencil from MM. They kept telling me that the logo that I wanted would not work on the green material. I had talked to several makers before I ordered mine and was told always to stay away from anything but the green ones.

After about a week of talking to them they decided to send me the green ones. They work great! Don't let them talk you into anything but the green stencil material, because that is how they can make lots more money off of your mistake. You will be reordering new stencils before you get the new wore off your etching machine.

I also tried to reorder some electrolyte from them and was told that my order for a quart did not meet the minimum. They told me to call back with a larger order. That really ticked me off.
Mike Koller was kind enough to include my order with his since he was ordering a new logo stencial. Must be nice to have enough money that you could turn down orders.

I have talked to several makers since this ordeal and all seam to be getting the same results from this Co.

On another note I also ordered a blank roll of stencal materal at the same time I ordered my logo and requested the green for this also. I recived a roll of light blue.

One final word about stencil materal that no one told me about and i learned first hand was that if the materal gets warm it is no longer any good. I let my roll of material set in my office and the wax melted right off of it. Just room Temp.
Keep it in a cool place like a old fridge.

Thanks
Ron Duncan
Cairo, MO.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ron, I appreciate your input. If it's any consolation, I've had two rolls of the temporary stencil material go bad on me, before storing it in the fridge. Slow learner.

Tags
forge, knife, knives